Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cannot find information

TRStisser
Explorer C

Not sure how to explain.  My Son is flying to Dallas, but there is a stop inbetween to change planes. Should he miss the plane for the second leg, is there a fine ?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Cannot find information

chgoflyer
Aviator A

If you're asking what will happen if he gets off at the connection and doesn't continue on -- that's called "hidden city ticketing," and it's fine on Southwest., unlike other carriers. To do so, he can't check a bag (it would continue on to the final destination), and he won't earn any Rapid Rewards points since the trip will technically be incomplete.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

There wouldn't be an unlimited accomodation if the flights were on time...i.e. he didn't make it to the gate even though planes were on schedule, or decided to run downtown for lunch and try to catch a later flight.

SWA would certainly rebook if the inbound flight to Dallas was late and that caused him to miss.

I'd like to think they would help him out if he just missed the flight due to illness or other inability to make it to the next gate, connection was too tight, etc...AND as long as he showed up at the gate shortly after take-off for the missed flight.

I'm sure there must be some cutoff where he'd have to buy a new ticket to the original destination as a no-show.

If he wanted to stay in Dallas as the other poster mentioned, plans change that's fine - double-check, if there are wanna get away fares for the same price remaining to Dallas, just change the reservation and make it official. No change fees! Otherwise as a courtesy let the gate agent know that he isn't going to show so they don't wait for him or hold his spot.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I'm not sure if the original poster is discussing Hidden City Ticketing or someone simply missing a connection.

Hidden City Ticketing is often a way to save money, when the fare to a final destination that includes a connection is cheaper than the fare non-stop to the connecting city.

As a general rule, Southwest accommodates a passenger who misses their flight, but shows up at the airport within 2 hours of their scheduled departure on the next available flight. When applied to a connection, I suspect the gate agen would need to hear a compelling story as to why the connection was missed.