Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Car Seat Base

AWyand
Explorer C

I am traveling with my infant and he will be sitting in his car seat, which attaches to a base. Can I carry the base onto the plane with me or will it be gate checked? I plan on gate checking his stroller. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Car Seat Base

CatherineG
Explorer C
Solution

AWyand,

Despite my being a Southwest Employee (not speaking on behalf of the Company here), the first time I traveled with an infant I thought I needed the base to be able to strap the car seat into an aircraft seat. A kind Flight Attendant educated me.  For that trip, I stowed the base in the overhead bin. After that trip, I would check the base at the ticket counter to lighten my load when walking through the terminal.

Re: Car Seat Base

sarahsmith
Frequent Flyer C

Hey there,

My youngest travels with a seat that can attach to a base, and it is certainly your perogative to bring it with you. You can either check it, or put it in the bin above. However, I'm always curious if parents realize that the base is not required to be used with many seats, but simply there to make the in and out of the car a little faster and easier. For regular use, I find it to be great! But for plane travel it's kind of a hassle (for me, that is) and I prefer to just use the seatbelt to strap the seat in. Check with your owners manual for the seat, you may be able to travel with one less baby item, if you desire. 🙂 Best of luck!