Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Change companion pass back to same person

WilDog
Explorer A

I am planning on taking advantage of the 3 changes I can make to my companion pass this year.  If I start with my husband, then switch to my child, can I switch back to my husband in the same year?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Change companion pass back to same person

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

According to the terms and conditions below, the answer should be yes.  Note the details about reservations and a wait for the CP card to arrive:

The Member is limited to one Companion at any time. After designating a Companion, the Member will be issued a Companion Pass card. The Companion Pass card is not transferrable. The Member may, however, change his/her designated Companion and request issuance of a new Companion Pass card up to three (3) times each calendar year that the Member maintains Companion Pass status. Any reservation with the current Companion Pass would need to be cancelled before changing his/her designated Companion. Requests may be made by calling 1-800-435-9792. Allow 21 business days for processing and issuance of the Companion Pass card. The Member's designated Companion must be an individual. An individual may not travel as both a Member and a Companion on the same flight. Corporations and other entities cannot be designated as Companions.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

WilDog
Explorer A

Thank you! Hoping it doesn't take 21 days!

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I def don’t think the system change will take that long, but as far as the physical card goes, the T&Cs of CP do state that the Companion should be prepared to show his or her card on demand. I have NEVER had that enforced, but it is worth noting for full disclosure. 🙂

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@WilDog wrote:

Thank you! Hoping it doesn't take 21 days!

Issuing card, maybe.

Processing, we've heard much shorter on this community. The functionality should be active online much faster than 21 days typically.

Pro-tip: since you have to wait to change the companion until the current companion has completed their travel, it may be beneficial to reserve a ticket for your husband using points now. Then when CP is changed and updated, cancel points (returned to your account) and book companion. If the flight is sold out by that time, you can call to have the swap made simultaneously.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.