Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changing Fares while booking flight

jstkrsn
Explorer C

While booking my flight from TPA to SAN it showed $267. When it went to totals it was $297. I opened the Southwest Website again in another window to confirm the cost and it said again $267. So I went back to the first Website and booked it thinking maybey it was a typo on their part. No they charged me $297 for the $267 flight. But who do you complain to? Is there a actual phone number or email address to send questions to?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Changing Fares while booking flight

franktravel
Aviator B

Could be a glitch.  Try to close all windows or do a refresh.  I find prices go up and down almost ever day.  You can also call 1-800-435-9792 or reach out on Facebook or Twitter.

Good luck! 

Re: Changing Fares while booking flight

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, that's a known issue, and a common complaint. From what I understand, it has to do with the databases that hold inventory getting out of sync with those that hold fares. Despite the recent booking system upgrade (which one hoped might address the issue) and frequent customer complaints, this frustrating situation continues.

If you contact Southwest, they'll just point out that no fare is guaranteed until it is purchased.

Southwest's fares change frequently, so it's likely the last seat at the previous price was purchased before you, so the system offered you the next highest price. Your best bet would be to keep checking back to see if the price drops at any point. If so, you can change to that fare and will be given the difference to use towards future travel (up to one year from date of purchase, original passenger only).