Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Check car seat and pack n play instead of stroller

Erinadine
Explorer C

Instead of a stroller am I able to check our car seat at the gate and our pack n play somewhere and would that cost extra? 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Check car seat and pack n play instead of stroller

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Car seats can be checked for free in addition to the usual two free bags per ticketed customer. As the policy refers to car seats and strollers my guess is that the pack n play would count as one of the two free bags. So in your example, one passenger could check a suitcase, car seat, and a pack n play all for no extra charge. Any additional baggage would cost more. More people traveling with you equals two more bags for each ticketed person. 

Erinadine
Explorer C

Darn, it’s just me and my lap infant and we’re moving 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

So you would get two "regular" bags to check, and then two baby items.

If you get one of the blue bags or buy a third-party bag for the stroller its possible that the car seat and stroller (if it's a snap-in type) can fit in one blue bag.

This you may gate check or curbside check, either way depending if you will use the stroller inside the airport.

Curbside check the pack and play also since you won't need that inside the airport.

For gate check, get the item tagged (put the tag on the blue bag) ahead of the boarding process so you can board at "A61" with family boarding - you don't want to have to run back to the desk to get the stroller tagged and miss your spot in line.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.