Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Extending Companion Pass

Kcliburn
Explorer C

Anyone heard of possibility of Southwest Extending Companion Pass for existing Pass holders?  Have cancelled a couple trips already due to Covid 19 Quarantine, Shelter in Place orders and Attraction, Bar and restaurant closures where we were headed.  

39 REPLIES 39

Re: Extending Companion Pass

S2bx04
Explorer B

I’ve cancelled 4 trips already and my company has stopped travel, I’ll be lucky if I keep my A-list status at this rate. 

bvd18
Explorer C

My husband & I have also had to cancel many flights and we have the companion pass. It sure will be nice if Southwest extends the expiration dates. Its not fair that we spent so much money trying to reach companion level. 

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

At this time southwest hasn’t announced any changes for qualifying for A List or Companion pass. Once this settles down they might make an announcement but right now it’s too early as we don’t know how long this will go on. 

I would watch your email for updates later on down the road. 

-Blake

evehens
Explorer C

What about people that have earned companion passes for 2020? Will the expiration date of 12/31/2020 be extended?

My husband FINALLY earned a companion pass in December 2019 for use throughout 2020.  We have already cancelled a few upcoming trips and we have no idea if and when we'll get to use our companion pass!  I'm trying to reschedule one of our trips (we hadn't bought SW tickets yet, but were planning to) to take it over Xmas, but we won't fly home until after Jan.1.  

Will SW extend the 2020 companion passes for a few months to allow people to reschedule anticipated travel?  We had planned on taking little weekend trips and using it quite a bit (which would provide extra ticket purchases for SW due to trips my husband wouldn't normally be taking). 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I'm sure that SW will eventually answer your question. Be patient.

Right now airlines are just trying to deal with the economic disaster  facing them

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

Ryan Green, SVP & Chief Marketing Officer, shared in this message:

A-List Preferred, A-List and Companion Pass Qualification

I know many of our A-List Preferred, A-List, and Companion Pass Members—or those working to qualify for these benefits—have questions about how the current environment may impact their ability to qualify for status this year. While I don’t have an answer for you today, we are closely monitoring this and will follow up at the appropriate time on how we will address this situation.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Gaga1
Explorer C

Might I suggest that SW allow its customers to put their A-List, Companion Status, etc. in a "suspend" status. Then tack on the suspended months onto the end of 2020. Extenuating circumstances call for unique solutions.   Thanks! 

wardy
Explorer C

Had several trips planned based on companion pass that expires 12/31/20.  Would like to be advised when  and how far long SW will extend the companion passes that expire this year.

wcalvertinfo
Explorer C

Hi!  Yes, it does seem fair that SWA would extend companion passes into 2021 for those of us who have had to cancel multiple trips and haven't been able to use our benefit. Maybe they should allow it for the same number of flights their passengers had to cancel if not for the entire year. I'll be watching for their updated policy on this.