Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Extending Expiration Date for Unused Travel Funds fees

PSounTX
Explorer C

I had to cancel a reservation for a family of 5. I thought I had a year from the date of intended travel to use the travel funds. I found out today it was expired from the date of original purchase. So I called and was told I can get an extension. Thankful for that! But, know I am wondering if I should have been charged $100 fee per person on my reservation? I thought it was just a $100 fee and not a fee per person on the confimation. Can someone verify this?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Extending Expiration Date for Unused Travel Funds fees

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@PSounTX wrote:

I had to cancel a reservation for a family of 5. I thought I had a year from the date of intended travel to use the travel funds. I found out today it was expired from the date of original purchase. So I called and was told I can get an extension. Thankful for that! But, know I am wondering if I should have been charged $100 fee per person on my reservation? I thought it was just a $100 fee and not a fee per person on the confimation. Can someone verify this?

The rule is that there is a $100 fee per expired travel fund. Payment of the fee converts the travel fund balance into a voucher that expires 6 months from the date the voucher is issued. 

In your case, each of your 5 family members got a travel fund when you cancelled the  reservation. Thus 5 travel funds and 5 $100 fees.

Note that while travel funds must be used by the person whose name was on the cancelled ticket, after the fund are converted to vouchers, that the vcouchers may be used by anyone.

Re: Extending Expiration Date for Unused Travel Funds fees

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

When the airline makes an exception on extending travel funds it is $100 per person not per reservation unfortunately. Luckily for you they were able to make the exception though and you will get at least some value back.

Keep in mind the voucher you will receive for the expired travel fund is only valid for 6 months and once you apply it to a new reservation it will keep the expiration date of the voucher so it won't be 1 year from that new reservations booking date. 

Hope this helps

Blake