Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Extra Seat Refund and “Wanna Get Away”

KorbenReynolds
Explorer C

Hey all.

I’m a big guy that’s never flown with Southwest. I’m trying to find out if the extra seat refund policy applies to “Wanna Get Away” fares since I’ve read that that rate has a limited refund policy. The CoS FAQ seems to imply that the refund applies to all fares, but I would like to confirm it. Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Extra Seat Refund and “Wanna Get Away”

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@KorbenReynolds wrote:

Hey all.

I’m a big guy that’s never flown with Southwest. I’m trying to find out if the extra seat refund policy applies to “Wanna Get Away” fares since I’ve read that that rate has a limited refund policy. The CoS FAQ seems to imply that the refund applies to all fares, but I would like to confirm it. Thanks in advance.

Think of it as a reimbursement (after the fact) as opposed to a refund (implying services weren’t rendered, or in this case a seat that won’t be fully utilized).

my understanding is that it does apply to WGA - the BS and Anytime tickets are refundable in a different way prior to flight.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Just wanted to add you can book the extra seat at a child fare but you would need to call reservations to get the child fare and as @DancingDavidE said you would be able to request the refund after travel is complete. 

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I am not aware of a certain fare type being required.  Reading here and here about the policy doesn't turn up any exceptions, and I think it is safe to assume those would be clearly indicated.

If you want to get an official answer from SW, you can use the Contact Us link below, or reach out to them via Twitter or the Live Chat option in the SW app!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Book the same fare (WGA) for both your primary seat and the extra seat. Then contact Southwest after the flight to request the refund of the extra seat fare.

The only time you might want to book the extra seat as a childs fare is when you're booking Business Select or Anytime as your primary seat.