Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

FLYING SOUTHWEST W/ ESA FOR THE FIRST TIME.

PonyVillalobos
Explorer C

Hi, I will be flying Southwest  Airlines with my ESA for the first time in May and wondering if you could answer a couple questions for.

To ensure the comfort of my pet and not wanting to overcrowd the row for other passengers, I would like to purchase an extra seat for my pet.  How do I go about this?  Should I just buy 2 seats in my name?

On other airlines, I am able to select the bulkhead seats at the time of purchase.  I know I can pay extra to get into the group A boarding but I was wondering if the agents at the gate would permit me to board early so I could be guaranteed to get a bulkhead seat?

Last but not least, can you please direct me to the exact language needed in my letter from my Dr. to present to agents at the airport?  I have flown with my ESA before and have a letter but I want to make sure I have the exact language that Southwest requires.

Thank you for your time.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: FLYING SOUTHWEST W/ ESA FOR THE FIRST TIME.

momhicho
Explorer C

Coastercub
Explorer B

Be aware that stated policy on Southwest.com regarding service animals states “ Southwest Airlines does not allow the animals to be placed on an aircraft seat.”

the reasons for this is many, not the least of which is that a thorough cleaning of seats and cabin does not occur between flights and subsequent passengers may be prone to allergies. Flight attendants are required to ensure all emotional support animals are either on your lap or at your feet. Hopefully this is helpful information 

Rachel104923
Explorer C

Hey! I was looking on google for an answer to something else and saw your question. I literally just made an account to answer lol. I’m flying with my ESA for the first time in a few days and I had no idea what to do. Call Southwest, and make your reservation over the phone. That’s literally the only way to do it.

I’m flying with my 95lb dog, and to get an extra seat for him they added an extra seat onto my reservation (which you can only do over the phone). I had to pay double for another seat, BUT if you call them back after your flight, they’ll reimburse you for your ESA’s ticket since technically they fly free. Hope that helps!

suseee
Explorer C

Hi! I will be flying with me 55lb dog at the end of the month and was wondering how your first flight with your ESA went? Is there anything I should know ahead of time since he is a little bigger than a normal lap dog?