Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Fishing Rod Cases

rscottsmith87
Explorer C

I am travelling with a few fishing poles.  The rod case is 72 inches so it is within the limit but it is 4.25 inches in diameter.  Will I have to pay for an oversized bag since it is over the 3" diameter limit?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Fishing Rod Cases

montag
Explorer C

It's been a few years but I'm wondering the same thing. My rod tube is 5" in diameter. Will I be able to check it even if I have to pay extra? 

SWDigits
Aviator A

I'd reach out to Southwest directly, Twitter will probably get you the fastest response.  Their handle is listed in the "Contact Us" link.

For reference here is the page with the limitations cited by the original poster (click on the "Sports Equipment" section):

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html

Customer | Home airport DCA

dfwskier
Aviator A

The max 62 inch rule is waived for things like ski bags and fishing rod cases. You'll be able to ckeck it and it'l be free of charge.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The diameter is the questionable bit, not the length. Policy is pretty clear that a 3" diameter is allowed, so if agent is strictly going by the policy you'll have to pay extra to check a larger case. Given Southwest's typical loosening of the rules if you're close to the limit I suspect you can check for free, but no guarantee. This is really going to be a YMMV issue depending on the agent you interact with. Hopefully if you're friendly the agent will see a fishing rod case and not even think to measure the diameter. 

Policy:

"Fishing rod containers may measure up to three inches in diameter and 91 inches in length."

Please report back with your experience. 

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

The diameter is the questionable bit, not the length. Policy is pretty clear that a 3" diameter is allowed, so if agent is strictly going by the policy you'll have to pay extra to check a larger case. Given Southwest's typical loosening of the rules if you're close to the limit I suspect you can check for free, but no guarantee. This is really going to be a YMMV issue depending on the agent you interact with. Hopefully if you're friendly the agent will see a fishing rod case and not even think to measure the diameter. 

Policy:

"Fishing rod containers may measure up to three inches in diameter and 91 inches in length."

Please report back with your experience. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Let us know if the agent had a tape measure @rscottsmith87 - guessing not Smiley LOL

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

montag
Explorer C

Thanks all. Worse case scenario is that I'd have to pay a fee to check the 5" tube, correct? I'd just hate to get all the way to the airport and they won't let me bring the tube at all even with paying. Free would be nice but I really just want to verify that it will fly with me one way or the other.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Correct. If length was crazy long it could denied, but you said length was within regulation. Seems the concensus here is it's unlikely that the larger width will be noticed, but it could cause you to be charged for an oversized bag. 

--TheMiddleSeat

SWDigits
Aviator A

@montag wrote:

Free would be nice but I really just want to verify that it will fly with me one way or the other.

I would still contact Southwest directly via Twitter (or by chat within the app).

Customer | Home airport DCA