Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flying with 3 years old

Vngean
Explorer C

My mom is planning to visit me in Texas in 2 months and wants to bring her grand daughter thats 3 yrs old. The problem is that the grand daughter panics when the plane takes off or going through turbulence. My question is, can she sits on my mom lap? And I know the policies are for 2 years and under.

Can you help please.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Flying with 3 years old

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

FAA regulations require a seat to be purchased for anyone over the age of 2. They also require the child to be buckled into their own seat (a carseat, FAA approved, is recommended) during takeoff and landing. Once in the air, the child should be able to sit in your mother's lap... but be aware that if a flight attendant directs your mother to put the child back in the car seat (due to turbulence for example) she will have to follow their directions.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Vngean wrote:

My mom is planning to visit me in Texas in 2 months and wants to bring her grand daughter thats 3 yrs old. The problem is that the grand daughter panics when the plane takes off or going through turbulence. My question is, can she sits on my mom lap? And I know the policies are for 2 years and under.

Can you help please.

There is a harness available as well, but since you’ll have a confirmed seat for a 3 year old and if you’ll be traveling with the car seat anyway, bring it on board. 

Turbulence and take-off noise may be less if you can sit in front of the wings - that will depend on what availability there is at family boarding since you’ll need to have a window for the car seat so as not to block access to the aisle.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Vngean wrote:

Can you help please.

Perhaps you can minimize the problem by using noise cancelling headphones. They do a pretty good job of reducing engine noise. Plus if you can find something interesting for her to listen to (cartoon to watch?), you can add to her distraction.

The headphones don't need to be expensive. I use Cowin c7s. You can find them for about $60 or less.