Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Formula with a toddler?

LittleLove
Explorer C

I will be traveling soon with my 2.5 year old toddler. However, he has some health issues that mean he needs all liquids thickened. He is still  on formula (again, health reasons) which we thicken with baby cereal, and drinks water mixed with applesauce. I am concerned that there will be problems going through security with it because of his age. I know they allow formula/baby food for infants, but will he be okay? I also like to bring applesauce pouches for backup, will those be a problem? It’s a lot easier to bring it that way and add water later than to lug around all of his liquids for the day. Thank you for the help!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Formula with a toddler?

Flying_Slug
Adventurer A

From the TSA website: "Baby food is allowed in reasonable quantities in carry-on bags. Remove these items from your carry-on bag to be screened separately from the rest of your belongings. Please see traveling with children for more information."

Then, there is an important note: "The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint."

This looks like a question best directed to the TSA, so they could advise you on specific documentation or procedures that would increase the chances of the TSA officer giving you the green light at the checkpoint.

Have a good flight,

F_S

Re: Formula with a toddler?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@LittleLove wrote:

I will be traveling soon with my 2.5 year old toddler. However, he has some health issues that mean he needs all liquids thickened. He is still  on formula (again, health reasons) which we thicken with baby cereal, and drinks water mixed with applesauce. I am concerned that there will be problems going through security with it because of his age. I know they allow formula/baby food for infants, but will he be okay? I also like to bring applesauce pouches for backup, will those be a problem? It’s a lot easier to bring it that way and add water later than to lug around all of his liquids for the day. Thank you for the help!

This should be fine as a medical need, and also as a toddler food. The TSA may need to test a sample if any liquid is open, or else they can test your person and the outsides of the containers for any trace of contaminant. Allow a little extra time (10-20 minutes above what you normally would arrive at).

Not sure about the applesauce since it isn't medicinal exactly, but potentially it could be tested in the same manner.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.