Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How to change companion on existing companion pass ticket

Dcartersmith1
Explorer C

I booked a flight and added my husband as my SW companion.  He can’t make the trip and I would like to change the companion ticket so my friend can fly with me instead.  What’s the steps and safest way to do this without losing her seat. TIA

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How to change companion on existing companion pass ticket

SWDigits
Aviator A
Call Southwest to make companion changes.

Customer | Home airport DCA

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

I don't think you can change the name on a ticket. You'd have to cancel the ticket, add your friend as your companion and then book another companion ticket.

Remember there are a limited number of times you can change your designated companion, so if you want to add your husband back, then that'll be two changes.

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

SWA can also assist with changing the Companion over Twitter. However, as everyone else has warned, you can only change Companions three times. In my opinion if it's more than the price of the ticket to do this and you won't do another switch, go for it! 

Safe travels!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@ZevSupport wrote:

SWA can also assist with changing the Companion over Twitter. However, as everyone else has warned, you can only change Companions three times. In my opinion if it's more than the price of the ticket to do this and you won't do another switch, go for it! 

Safe travels!

Note that you can change your companion three times per calendar year that you have the pass.

If you qualify the "normal" way (not via a special, limited promotion), you receive the pass for the remainder of the year in which you qualify and all of the following year. That means you can have up to 7 total different companions over that period.

Just keep in mind that you cannot change the named companion until any travel booked with the current one has been completed (or alternately, you'll need to cancel any existing companion's flights prior to changing your companion.)