Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Improper announcement

DDion-Scoyni
Explorer C

I was on a flight out of SNA yesterday. The takeoff at SNA is unusual due to noise abatement procedures. It is a thrusted steep take off with power reduction once up and until over the ocean.

As the plane pulled back power, the flight attendant made a very inappropriate announcement.

”that’s normal for here. We have to be quiet for all the rich people below”

The tone was as if the people below had money so their ears were more sensitive and needed pampering.

Many people gasped at the flight attendant’s announcement. We shared stories of all living under the flight path. All of us hard working business travelers.

The noise abatement rules for SNA are in place for ALL who live below. Shame on the flight attendant for making the rule seem trite.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Improper announcement

dfwskier
Aviator A

1) The FA might have been correct

Newport Beach is Ranked as #1 Wealthiest City in the U.S. 

https://activerain.com/blogsview/1530734/newport-beach-is-ranked-as--1-wealthiest-city-in-the-u-s-

2) There are many more important things to be concerned about than an innocuous FA announcement.

DDion-Scoyni
Explorer C

Yes, there are wealthy people below but also hard working people too, traveling on that plane in fact. Everyone is effected by the noise and the regulations necessary not trite.

Indeed, there are great things to worry about. My comment is to inform the airline that their flight attendant was being rude in her improvisations of FAA dictated announcements. 

Any good business would appreciate constructive criticism.

Of what use is your comment? 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@DDion-Scoyni wrote:

Yes, there are wealthy people below but also hard working people too, traveling on that plane in fact. Everyone is effected by the noise and the regulations necessary not trite.

Indeed, there are great things to worry about. My comment is to inform the airline that their flight attendant was being rude in her improvisations of FAA dictated announcements. 

Any good business would appreciate constructive criticism.

Of what use is your comment? 

He's a fellow passenger, as are most people on this community. If you'd like to reach Southwest directly use the "Contact Us" link on the website, Customer Relations sounds like the phone number you'd need (discussion after a flight) and you can also use email, twitter, or Live Chat from your app if you are a Rapid Rewards member.

In general Southwest does encourage the FA to have a little fun with the announcements, and having some family that live in the coastal area between the end of the runway and the ocean I'd have to agree with the assessment that it is on average a high rent district. 

I also agree that working hard is one way to enable living in that area, and wealthy or not I would appreciate all that can be done to mitigate noise issues if I lived there. 

As you allude to, the FAA is involved at airports all over the country in related ways to abate noise from air travel. Even though Midway is right in the middle of a neighborhood we don't have to follow the take-off procedure as at SNA though, FWIW.

Personally I think if you buy a house next to an airport (whether Chicago's Southwest Side or Newport Beach) you kind of know what you are getting into although with air travel expanding so much I can see where people are against expanded services or more frequent flights from some of these airports that originally were isolated or limited in schedule, but now are in the middle of residential areas with large jets replacing propeller-driven aircraft.

Anyway - I don't think what the FA said was meant to disparage anyone and if it was possible to take it as a lighthearted observation, I would.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

ParSWA
Adventurer B

Yeah... that's a way unnecessary comment. We have enough divisiveness in this world as it is. I don't need more it coming from the flight attendant.