Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Is a carseat considered a checked item?

jwtravels
Explorer C

I'll be traveling solo soon with our little one (9 mo.). She'll be on my lap and I'd like to check her car seat with my bag, but am wondering whether that + the stroller at the gate both count against the two checked items. Can anyone confirm whether that's the case and/or if I'll be within guidelines for my plan below?

LUGGAGE CHECK-

(1) Luggage

(1) Carseat

GATE CHECK-

(1) Stroller

CARRY ON-

(1) Luggage

(1) Diaper Bag ("personal item")

(1) Breast pump* [I've flown with this already and know it's considered a medical device so not counted against carry-on #s]

1 REPLY 1

Re: Is a carseat considered a checked item?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Quick answer: You are within guidelines

The longer answer is both a carseat and a stroller may be checked for free in addition to your 2 free bags.  In other words, you could actually check an additional bag for free.  Maybe check the one you were planning on carrying on so you are carrying less?  Gotta love Southwest and free bags!  Your plan looks great, and thank you for taking the time to detail it out!

Here's the actual policy regarding the stroller and car seat:

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/carryon-bags-pol.html

"Customers traveling with children will be allowed to check one stroller and one Child Restraint System (CRS) or car seat per child without charge. This is in addition to the regular free baggage allowance."

--TheMiddleSeat