Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Item left on Plane

DaniR
Explorer C

Arriving at midnight in Milwaukee, I left my brand new GoPro on the plane and didn't realize it until I arrived home an hour later. I filled out a lost and found form, but there doesn't seem to be a very organized way that Southwest cleans and reports a lost item. I would like to see a documented sequence of events that happens when a flight has arrived, especially when it's the last flight of the night. Does the plane get cleaned that night? In the morning? Who is responsible for cleaning the inside of the plane? My GoPro was on the floor of the seat in front of me (along with my laptop and carry on bag which I thankfully picked up), do the flight attendants look through the plane? Being a frequent traveler who is often weary after a long flight, it would be nice to know that the airline and it's employee's are watching out for items and returning them.

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Item left on Plane

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi DaniR,

I'm so sorry to hear about your GoPro Camera - there's no doubt it's frustrating to realize that something (particularly something valuable) has been left behind. I'm glad to hear that you've filled out a Lost and Found form. We've got your information on file, and we'll keep an eye out for your camera. If it's found, we will be in touch with you promptly so we can reunite you with your camera. 

Re: Item found on Plane

TRKYHTR1
Explorer C

I was flying from Oklahoma City to Las Vegas Nevada and found something on the plane. The name on the device is Ryan Ross. Can you give me this persons contact info so I can get it back to them. Thanks,

Joe

Re: Item found on Plane

joec1959
Explorer C

I dont think any airlines will give you that info.  most likely they will tell u to drop it off at the airport they will return it .  (im sure they will )

joec1959

joec1959
Explorer C

i can tell you if u leave any item on plane and you cant get back to get your item its gone .                    from experience I left my good camera under seat  the last time i flew to vegas,

when i got home i called the  air lines ,i was told they would  wait to talk to the people that clean plane ..Three days later i called the,  airline the never called me  . they said no camera was found on my flight .

I now know from a person that works for an airline said that the flight attendents go through             the plane when everyones off  picking up cans an papers and yes  my camera  .if u leave it they keep it ,its never turned in , i eas told it was never found,and yes i was the last flight for that plane      so good luck     joec. 

CTTrainer
Explorer B

Not necessarily true - it depends on the integrity of the person who noticed the item!

My wallet slipped from my back pocket without me noticing.  The  gentleman seated behind me noticed it sitting in the crease on my seat after I stood up; he pointed it out and asked, “Sir, is that yours?”  Without his intervention, I would have most likely exited the plane unaware of the loss.   There ARE still people of integrity, but sadly, there are a number who are lacking. There is no way to tell who found your item, or when. 

I found a slim silver laptop wedged under a seat on my last flight, and turned it over to a Flight Attendant before we departed the gate at Hobby, gate 23.   Most likely, it was left by the person who last occupied that seat.  By how it was positioned, it could have been there and gone unnoticed for several flights and the true owner may never be found, but I turned it in nonetheless. 

BD192
Explorer C

Lindsey,

You advised "If it's found, we will be in touch with you promptly...".  A co-worker left her Surface laptop on a San Francisco flight recently.  She has received "sketchy" looking emails from "Customer Service customerservice@lostandfound.aero" and just with the signature line "Lost and Found Central".  No logos, phone numbers, etc...  Very unprofessional.

Does this look legitimate?  If so, Southwest needs to work on this.

Thanks!

Is this legit?Is this legit?  

aliskydiver
Explorer C

I left something today, too (didn't realize until I got home hours later) and noticed the cleaners were on the plane on the way out.  It'd be nice to think that they, and the attendants, keep an eye out!

Hopefully they remove the item and leave it at customer service at the arriving airport, it would benefit the process for the items to stay where they were found.

My ipad?  May be gone forever.  😞

Re: Heirloom left on Plane

Wilked1
Explorer C

I’m a frequent SW A-list loyalist, on a recent return business flight I left a family heirloom in my seat. The flight attendants confirmed it was turned over to the baggage office. I filled out a report feeling relieved that my item would soon be matched with my report, because I had confirmation that the item was identified and “turned in”. I’ve followed the only customer path available and a week later, nothing still.  It’s a very helpless feeling when one transitions from the position of a valued customer to the bottom of the priority list, de-valued, lost in a broken corporate process with no hope. 

I even retuened to the baggage office in-person only to be told that items are turned over to a 3rd party warehouse daily, and even SW staff said there is no way to get into contact with the 3rd party and no one knows where The items go.  I started to tear up.

I don’t know where to turn, this is my first and only disappointment with Southwest Airlines. At this point maybe my only take-away is a lesson I can learn as I am a marketing professional.....in that...as a company you can get almost everything right and be successful but if you skip over the things that seem small but actually are of highest value, you’ll lose trust and lose your most loyal customers....over one process oversight.  Something so preventable. 

Signed,

disheartened A-List’er : ( 

Re: Heirloom left on Plane

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@Wilked1,

Which airport?  I am sorry to hear that, and hopefully the third party is involved with the matching process because SWA does not have the storage space at that airport.  You may yet get a notification.  My wallet once slipped out of my pocket, and it was a great relief when it was returned to me.  I now pat myself down before exiting.  I hope it finds its way back to you and soon.