Explorer C

I have 6 luv vouchers 

$50

$50

$110

$25

$110

$20

I am planning to use these for my flight with my wife. I know they say to use if one says, I did try that but they stil only take a portioning the voucher which is frustrating and make me pay with a card. 

is there a work around? I heard buying a dummy ticket but then I don't know how to exactly do that without compromising the vouchers. 

can I use my credit card and then when I cancel it the funds on my card also join the two luv vouchers????? 

the flight I need is these 

outbound - 69 each x2 

invoind - 49 each x2

any tricks or ways to use my funds without wasting them?

thanks 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: LUV voucher - issue using

bec102896
Aviator A

Here’s how you could do this:

1. Try and find a flight you won’t take that is close to $220 using the whole voucher (the 2 $110 vouchers) the actual amount of the flight you will want to look for is around $300 because the voucher doesn’t cover taxes.

2. book the flight where you pay for the taxes 

3. Cancel the flight and request a refund of the taxes to your CC (will arrive back in 3-5 business days) 

4. Go book the actual flight you want using that confirmation number that you just canceled and another voucher. This time the confirmation number will cover the taxes and the voucher ($50 in this case should apply in full). I believe you could then apply another voucher (as a 3rd form of payment) only if that voucher would cover the rest of the reservation cost since the confirmation number is covering the taxes otherwise you could use a credit card for the difference. 

Hope this helps and makes sense

Blake 

Lestavez
Explorer C

Thank you.

would if make a difference if I bought in small onways since the cost per person  $117x2 per person RT ($49 and $69) = trio total is 234

or the one whole trio is faster and better? 

2 people using it so if I do all for one person, only one person can use the entire bulk of the confroation number??? 
I don't want to have to use my card to pay taxes. I get the first part I can get it tefunded but the last past you said I might have to pay for taxes? Am I missing something. Sorry 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

When you cancel the dummy reservation the travel funds you receive can only be used by the passenger(s) named on the dummy reservation. As you are trying to book flights for two people I would suggest handling each person individually, creating two individual dummy flight reservations, one in each person's name. Yes, you will have to go through the booking process twice, but this will allow you to clearly see how much value you have associated with each person. On the final reservation you can then apply the two travel funds, one for each person to the reservation.

Also, are you certain you have LUV Vouchers and not travel funds? Just want to double check as that affects how to handle this situation and how funds can be applied. If you only have LUV Vouchers continue on... 

Regarding taxes... LUV Vouchers cannot be used to pay for taxes, that's why the first step indicates you will need to temporarily pay for the taxes on a credit card. When you cancel the dummy reservation the taxes will be refunded to you, back to your credit card. Then you will have a travel fund which can be used to pay taxes so you will not use your credit card on the final reservation.

Here's my suggestion... 

Using a $110 and $25 Voucher, book DEN-SLC one way on Feb 14, flight#820 for $145 for passenger A. You can use the Vouchers to pay for the fare portion of the ticket, $121.56 and your credit card for $23.42 in taxes. Cancel that reservation and request a refund of the taxes back to your credit card. You now have a travel fund for $121.56.

Using the second $110 Voucher and the $20 Voucher book the same flight for passenger B and cancel as above. You now have a 2nd travel fund for $121.56.

Now make a single reservation for the round trip you want for both passengers. Total cost should be 69+69+49+49, approximately $236. Your two travel funds will cover that with approximately $3.56 remaining on each fund. You also have some small remaining balance on the Vouchers you used to make the dummy reservations, approximately $13 for the Vouchers used by passenger A and $8 for the vouchers used by passenger B. 

Hopefully this clarifies things and I'd appreciate if other Champions double checked my logic here, I'm a bit rusty with Vouchers. 

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

When you cancel the dummy reservation the travel funds you receive can only be used by the passenger(s) named on the dummy reservation. As you are trying to book flights for two people I would suggest handling each person individually, creating two individual dummy flight reservations, one in each person's name. Yes, you will have to go through the booking process twice, but this will allow you to clearly see how much value you have associated with each person. On the final reservation you can then apply the two travel funds, one for each person to the reservation.

Also, are you certain you have LUV Vouchers and not travel funds? Just want to double check as that affects how to handle this situation and how funds can be applied. If you only have LUV Vouchers continue on... 

Regarding taxes... LUV Vouchers cannot be used to pay for taxes, that's why the first step indicates you will need to temporarily pay for the taxes on a credit card. When you cancel the dummy reservation the taxes will be refunded to you, back to your credit card. Then you will have a travel fund which can be used to pay taxes so you will not use your credit card on the final reservation.

Here's my suggestion... 

Using a $110 and $25 Voucher, book DEN-SLC one way on Feb 14, flight#820 for $145 for passenger A. You can use the Vouchers to pay for the fare portion of the ticket, $121.56 and your credit card for $23.42 in taxes. Cancel that reservation and request a refund of the taxes back to your credit card. You now have a travel fund for $121.56.

Using the second $110 Voucher and the $20 Voucher book the same flight for passenger B and cancel as above. You now have a 2nd travel fund for $121.56.

Now make a single reservation for the round trip you want for both passengers. Total cost should be 69+69+49+49, approximately $236. Your two travel funds will cover that with approximately $3.56 remaining on each fund. You also have some small remaining balance on the Vouchers you used to make the dummy reservations, approximately $13 for the Vouchers used by passenger A and $8 for the vouchers used by passenger B. 

Hopefully this clarifies things and I'd appreciate if other Champions double checked my logic here, I'm a bit rusty with Vouchers. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Good point on combining the vouchers, that the dummy tickets would result in travel funds for that named person only. I agree the best approach to go per person, and I also wanted to verify that these were LUV vouchers and not travel funds due to the valuations. I haven't often heard of LUV being issued in $20 denominations for instance. 

I think by booking one-ways for each individual then the funds could be used without the dummy ticket workaround but there would be some residual values - need to know if the vouchers (or funds) would be likely to be used later this year or if it is critical to use the full value now without paying cash for the taxes.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.