Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Left laptop on plane

Melfaceatl
Explorer C

August 16 I flew from ATL to Las Vegas. Upon getting to baggage claim I realized my computer was missing. I completely the lost report that day. Didn't hear anything. On August 20 I went to ATL Southwest Baggage office. A very nice employee spent about 30 on the phone after he looked in the computer and read this to me "my computer was found on the plane in Vegas but sent to the Lost and found Warehouse". I left it on the plane on flight 798. He gave me this found # 1039001 and told me exactly what's on the computer. The computer has a high heel stiletto shoe sticker. The screen is cracked. There’s also a label that Says If lost, please return to Beaver Beauty Academy.

I really need to get it back asap.  Nothing has happened. It's been 7 days and all I've gotten are there's auto emails. My lost incident number is 

1585348  this process is frustrating and unorganized.  If anyone can help please let me know. My small business life is on that computer. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Left laptop on plane

SWDigits
Aviator A
Definitely add the serial number to the lost report if you have it. Based on what I've seen from other similar discussion threads folks seem to reply back with good news when they've included or added the serial number to the online lost report.

I hope you're able to come back to report good news too!

Customer | Home airport DCA

Melfaceatl
Explorer C

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't have the serial number. It's clear it's been found hence the found number and the description in the found report. I actually have a picture of it and I attached that as well. This is so so incredibly frustrating. I love Southwest and I brag about them too everyone I know. But this experience has put a really sour taste in my mouth. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Melfaceatl wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't have the serial number. It's clear it's been found hence the found number and the description in the found report. I actually have a picture of it and I attached that as well. This is so so incredibly frustrating. I love Southwest and I brag about them too everyone I know. But this experience has put a really sour taste in my mouth. 

I understand your frustration, but you need to try to appreciate what the ariline has to go through. It has no capability to provide "personal" service to anyone who loses something.

Why? Well if just 1 in 1000 passengers loses something, that would mean that SW has to search for 163,000 items in a year. There is no way that Southwest has the manpower or capability to provide personal service to 163,000 people.

The airline has a lost item protocol. Found items are shipped to a central location in Alabama. At that location an attempt is made to match items reported lost with found items that have been shipped to that location. Matched items are returned. I suspect most passengers would say that it's "very" important that their lost items be found and returned. Thus I'm not sure how the airline could prioritize the effort to find your item versus those of other passengers.

I know it's maddening to you, but the best thing you can do is wait for the protocol to play out.

Good luck.

Melfaceatl
Explorer C

Than you for the insight. I totally understand the masses of items left and lost. And that my mistake is just that, my mistake.  My issue is that the system is antiquated and doesn't seen to be working. They found my item, logged it, issued a found number and I did what I was told to do by updating my lost incident report with the found number. That was 5 days ago. All I've received are hopeless auto emails. The system doesn't seem to be working efficiency. Perhaps it's time to locate another sub contractor to offer this service. When reading the posts in this forum, this does not seem to be anything new.  

Melfaceatl
Explorer C

I finally got the FOUND email. So it took a total of 11 days to get my laptop back. It seemed longer. But I'm just glad to get it back. I take back  all of the bad things I said lol. But the lost and found people need a phone number with a live person that you can speak to. 

Thank you to DancingDavidE for your assistance. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Melfaceatl wrote:

I finally got the FOUND email. So it took a total of 11 days to get my laptop back. It seemed longer. But I'm just glad to get it back. I take back  all of the bad things I said lol. But the lost and found people need a phone number with a live person that you can speak to. 

Glad to hear that your stuff is being returned to you.

If I'm not mistaken, the firm handles this process for not only Southwest, but other airlines too.

If they published a phone number, they'd be spending all their time talking to tens of thousands of people instead of reuniting found items with those that lost them.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@Melfaceatl wrote:

Thank you to DancingDavidE for your assistance. 

Thank you for letting the community here know! It's good to see your two data points: no serial number and a found report. 10 days or so seems to be about the average length of time others have reported so your report is in line.

Your information share will help the active users here to help others in the future. So thank you!

Customer | Home airport DCA