Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lost Baggage

tkub64
Explorer C

Recently, I was booked to fly with a group of friends and family. Unfortunately, less than 24 hours prior to departure, our flight was cancelled with no explanation. We were left to book on any of the flights left available, which meant we were all split up because there weren't enough seats on one plane to accomodte our group. On my way to the airport for my rescheduled and inconveniently timed flight, I received a call from Southwst pressuring me to get onto an earlier flight. I did it, but only after being assured my bag would not get lost after I repeated this worry to the associate. I knew i was going to have to check my bag in because I was boarding the flight as C27, although my bag would have been fine as a carry on.

I flew to Chicago (MDW) from Phoenix (Sky Harbor) on flight 1171, which arrived 04/25/2019 at 9:50PM at Midway Airport. My luggage, which was supposed to be checked all the way through to my final destination, baggage tag No. 3526313224 has apparently been completely misplaced. The ground staff at the MDW lost luggage counter, where I spoke with a customer baggage associate, informed me that they would be in touch within (24) hours to inform me of where and when my luggage would be tracked down and arriving. I provided my hotel address as I couldn't wait around for hours. I was provided with an incident number and my baggage claim ticket was taken from me. I navigate to https://live.nettracer.aero/southwest-paxview/login.do and type in my Incident number, and what do I see? That the incident has been marked closed. I am shocked. Livid. It has been 5 days now; I have contacted Southwest numerous times since my arrival and have not heard back and you have provided no information for me as to the whereabouts of my luggage! I find it completely unprofessional how in our world today with the security and technology available to you as a large airline can completely lose luggage. The total value of my bag's contents is more than double what I can afford. I have certain items inside which are completely irreplaceable and sentimental. I hope that the bag will be located and sent back but should it never turn up and be reported missing indefinitely, I believe that I am entitled to some form of compensation from the airline. To repeat, I did not have to check my bag in but was forced to. I believe I also should be repayed for the points used on the flight that I never even got to take.

Costs associated to the airline's fault include the following: my Away baggage that was checked in (check the price if you don't know what this brand is- you'll be upset just by this), my bridesmaids outfit (I was unable to be part of a once in a lifetime family wedding), doctor bills (unexpected snow in Chicago left me sick without a peacoat), medication that I rely on daily, gold jewlery, shoes, makeup, clothing, a dyson blowdryer (again, check the cost on this).. need I continue?

I will say one thing: The customer service ends the minute you step off the plane. What's the use of preaching about "first 2 checked bags are free!" without the comfort of knowing your airline cannot be held responsible for returning them to you?! Because I cannot hear back from a single employee via phone or emai, I am not afraid to preach on all social media platforms that this airline has robbed me, to say the least! I feel betrayed, considering I flew your airline and you were the preferred airline for my company based on my decision, for years on end.

Southwest, I can be reached on my mobile (which you have); I would appreciate an update as soon as possible. Otherwise, I would count on losing a valuable member that will go out of her way to pay triple your rates just to avoid your service. 

- Betrayed Customer

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Lost Baggage

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

This community is customer to customer, so I recommend that you call back to the customer relations number:

Customer Relations 1-855-234-4654

From this link: https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-CONTACT-US

I'm sorry to hear about this experience, its not what many of us expect from Southwest. Hopefully there is some identification on your luggage so that it can be returned, and/or fill out a new lost luggage form.

https://live.nettracer.aero/southwest-paxview/lostandfound/landing.do

That's a tough situation where you know that you want to carry on due to the contents of the luggage, but then are forced to gate check due to lack of overhead bin space.

If you can find the contact numbers, maybe call the baggage office at the two airports, I guess one was MDW and maybe try the one that the airplane went to next - although after five days those items should be on their way to Scottsboro, AL to the lost and found facility.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

@tkub64 

I'm sorry to hear your luggage is missing its never fun to have a lost bag. 

On the website you provided (for claims) there should be an option for you to send a message which should reopen the case (it did for me anyways when my bag went missing this past week). my case showed closed after the claim was filed but once I sent a message I got a phone call and case was reopened and they handled the compensation though there as well.

As @DancingDavidE said this is a customer to customer forum so reaching out to customer relations would be your best bet if sending a message through the claim site doesn't work. 

Hope your bag is returned to you soon!

Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

@tkub64 

On the website you provided (for claims) there should be an option for you to send a message which should reopen the case (it did for me anyways when my bag went missing this past week). my case showed closed after the claim was filed but once I sent a message I got a phone call and case was reopened and they handled the compensation though there as well.

The report shows up as "closed" by default? Glad you caught this post to point this out @bec102896 hopefully @tkub64 can get some additional response.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@bec102896 wrote:

@tkub64 

The report shows up as "closed" by default? Glad you caught this post to point this out @bec102896 hopefully @tkub64 can get some additional response.

The last time I had a lost bag it didn’t show up as closed right away it took a few days this time it was showing as closed within 24 hours (not sure if it was automatically marked closed) maybe next time I’ll look as soon as the report is filed. This time they knew my bag was in Orlando so I wonder if that had to do with it since they knew where it was. 

tkub64
Explorer C

@bec102896 @DancingDavidE thank you for the helpful responses. Unfortunately, the screenshot below is the information I was presented with upon entering my last name and incident # on https://live.nettracer.aero/southwest-paxview/login.do

I don't see an option to message in regards to this specific incident - every other email i've sent through the "contact me" link has gone unanswered...  If I'm missing a message button, please guide me... lol

Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 6.31.12 PM.png

bec102896
Aviator A

A27F4028-CA75-4BEE-A485-92FE76874CD3.jpeg

Here is how it shows up for me when i log in to the site. 

I can type a message and attach files such as Receipts’s even though my case is closed. 

-Blake 

bec102896
Aviator A

@tkub64 

were you able to figure out how to send a message through the website or were you able to reach out to customer relations so they can assist? 

-Blake

kathip
Explorer C

Hate to hear this. Same terrible customer service treatment. SW taking no responsibility.
SW lost my luggage. I was told to replace the items and I’d be reimbursed. I did so, submitted my claim, list of lost items and receipts and after being coached along the way by SW of how to handle this fiasco, they are taking NO responsibility and not compensating me. Cost to me to replace the items THEY LOST is over $1200. and they are trying to settle with me with a check for $98. Unbelievable, unprofessional, appalling, disgusting and unacceptable. I am so angry. This has taken up so much of my time, constantly on extremely long holds on the phone and they are trying to take no responsibility and do nothing!

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry to hear of your trouble. It has to be frustrating to not only lose your stuff, but to put up

with the long wait times.

Was the stuff you lost kind of old _(2-3 years or more)? Airlines reimburse depreciated value of lost items. Thus older stuff is "worth" less than newer stuff.

You could always escalate this to customer relations. Here's how: 

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Contact-Customer-Relations/ta-p/108355

Good luck