Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Mistaking AM vs PM should not cost $500

lynnsaunders
Explorer C

Our family traveled on Southwest to a wedding in Texas. One family member booked his ticket separately from the others and mistakenly picked a 6AM return rather that a 6PM return the rest of the family was using. The error was discovered when an email came 4 hours after the 6AM departure. Southwest was called immediately but they would do nothing to help. We had to pay for an additional $500 ticket so that our family member could fly on the flight he thought he had already paid for. This kind of mistake should not cost $500.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Mistaking AM vs PM should not cost $500

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Your experience points out the importance of carefully double-checking the email confirmation received immediately after booking. All flights can be canceled without penalty within 24 hours of purchase. 

Southwest also sends subsequent reminders. If the mistake had been noticed earlier, you would have avoided the loss of the funds following a no-show.

Sorry you learned this all the hard way.

Re: Mistaking AM vs PM should not cost $500

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@lynnsaunders wrote:

Our family traveled on Southwest to a wedding in Texas. One family member booked his ticket separately from the others and mistakenly picked a 6AM return rather that a 6PM return the rest of the family was using. The error was discovered when an email came 4 hours after the 6AM departure. Southwest was called immediately but they would do nothing to help. We had to pay for an additional $500 ticket so that our family member could fly on the flight he thought he had already paid for. This kind of mistake should not cost $500.

I also frequently set up alerts on Southwest's website for 3-hours prior (i.e. the "I should be in the car now" text alert) and Gmail and Outlook both automatically add my flights to the calendar. Hopefully this doesn't happen again, or else at least you can catch it at least 10 minutes prior so you can change the flight instead of forfeit the funds.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.