Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Not Getting Emails

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jwelchThe community is a user-to-user forum, so we can commiserate with you and suggest a workaround (use your gmail?) - if anyone did have a solution for changing a setting or other parameter on your/client's end we would suggest it so it is good that you asked.

I don't believe that sort of solution exists for this issue though or we would have heard it by now, so it will have to be through customer service to lodge the equivalent of a bug report.

The moderators will have some opportunity to pass along high interest topics back to the internal Southwest network, I'm sure this is one of those topics. The moderators can respond where they do have answers to common problems - bookings, how to contact customer service, the basics of booking/rebooking/changing/cancelling/etc.

Where you have a specific question about the SPF, or where a customer has an issue with their booking like "didn't receive any confirmation" then customer service will be the appropriate place to document the issue.

Edit: SPF is an IT thing. SDF is Louisville.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

jwelch
Explorer C

I've resolved this issue on my end, by creating additional email addresses in Exchange. 

Thank you, -J

clintm
Explorer B

Thanks, Lindsey!

I realize that this is a peer-to-peer group, and our frustrations are in no way a reflection on you, but I personally, and others similarly, have been unable to get Southwest to resolve this issue.  Without someone on the inside at Southwest "carrying the flag" for us, we can't get the time of day from your customer service team.  We're hoping that you would be willing to be our advocate.

Here's the response I received today in an email from customer service: "While we were unable to verify a known issue much like you described, we will use the information you provided to ensure that our systems are working correctly."  Not much help, especially since the issue has been identified and we just need someone to act on it.

* To bring anyone interested up to speed, in speaking with someone at Southwest in Dallas, I learned that each department at Southwest has a different email provider/server.  This explains why I can receive emails from this Community account and from your online customer service group, but NOT from the reservations/itinerary group.  So, the issue is that the email server/service/provider for the reservations/itinerary group has, for some reason, blocked, or black listed, my email, and those of many other folks.  To fix this we need to reach out to whoever runs the email for reservations/itineraries and get them to unblock our email addresses.  This has been proven to be an email address-specific issue, not an issue related to my Southwest account or Rapid Rewards account because emails sent to me from my account or from my wife's separate Rapid Rewards account DO NOT reach me, yet she receives email at the same domain as me from EITHER her account or mine. *

Lindsey, thanks for listening and I hope you can push for someone in IT or wherever to pay attention.  There is nothing that we can do on our own and I don't want to open and monitor a new email account just for Southwest reservations.

ryoustra
Explorer B

Ditto - well stated.

From all this discussion, especially from those of us (including me) who have worked this issue with our internet service providers, it's quite clear that it's a problem on SW's end. 

And it's obviously got to be in SW's best interest to have their emails delivered properly to ticket-buying customers 🙂

They should feel lucky that we want their emails badly enough to get in here and on the phone to work to get them! But agree that having customers create new email accounts is a non-starter.

So thanks for getting involved, Lindsey, and good luck to you and the IT folks in resolving this.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

In all seriousness, I think anyone expecting that this issue will actually be fixed by Southwest's IT team is unfortunately setting their expectations way too high.

Sadly, Southwest's abysmal IT support is notoriously well known. Especially when it comes to smaller issues only affecting a limited number of customers. At best, it can be said that the wheels of change in the IT department move very, very slowly.

As an example, customers outside the US have been unable to access the Southwest website for approaching three years now, despite repeated assurances that they are "working hard to resolve the issue."

Three years.

People have been requesting the ability to use mobile boarding passes for itineraries with more than a single passenger for over two years. 

My recommendation for those experiencing this specific problem is to address it yourself, as jwelch did. To do otherwise is really just an exercise in frustration and, ultimately, disappointment.

ryoustra
Explorer B

Somehow we've ended up with two "Not Getting Emails" threads, so I wanted to cross-post my response from the other: 

To close the loop - for myself, anyway - after @Lindsey offered to work this through internal channels, I'm now receiving SW email on my primary email account once again.

If everyone is receiving again, then perhaps it was some external blacklist problem as suggested by @nhjonesy (in the other thread). Otherwise, it may be the original notion that there's some internal filtering on individual email ids, at some last step in SW's IT infrastructure.

Hope this got better for everyone else!

lizsullivan1
Explorer C

I contacted Lindsey as she requested and she emailed me that the issue was fixed.  Today I received an email from Southwest Click 'N Save <SouthwestAirlines@luv.southwest.com> titled "This sale is winding down" which is the first one I have received in over a year.  I will have to wait until I book another flight to see if those emails work as well.  Highly recommend that you contact Lindsey.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@ryoustra and @lizsullivan1, glad we could get this resolved for you. Thanks for following up on the thread. 

clintm
Explorer B

You're awesome, @LindseyD!!

After you took my email you followed through and got it fixed!

I'm now receiving emails!

Not sure if everyone is now fixed or if folks should be contacting you by PM to request the fix, so that might be worth clarifying.

Thank you for listening, stepping up, and following through.  Very much appreciated!

-Clint

thewall
Explorer C

Lindsey, like so many others, I am no longer getting my email confirmation or most other southwest emails.  Can you solve the problem as you did for some of the others such as @ryoustra and lizsullivan1