Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Passport has maiden name, ticket has married name

AN19034
Explorer C

Hello,

I got married and have gotten my new license, but not a new passport. I took a few trips domestically so I changed my southwest account name to reflect my married name so I could use my updated driver's license. 

We are going to Mexico in March and I need to know if I book the ticket in my married name, will SW be able to change it if I provide my marriage certificate. 

Normally, I would book the ticket in my maiden name, but I have almost $800 worth of travel funds in my married name that I would like to use.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Passport has maiden name, ticket has married name

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If travel funds and passport are in your maiden name then there's no issue here.  Book the flights using your maiden name.  The only downside is it won't match up with your Rapid Rewards account so the travel won't be associated with your account and you won't earn points, but that would save the hassle of changing the name.  Just don't associate any RR account number with your reservation.  To check-in you would either need to lookup the reservation using the confirmation number and name or purchase EarlyBird.

To directly answer your question, yes, Southwest should be willing/able to change your name if you provide a marriage license, but personally that's more trouble than it's worth.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

If travel funds and passport are in your maiden name then there's no issue here.  Book the flights using your maiden name.  The only downside is it won't match up with your Rapid Rewards account so the travel won't be associated with your account and you won't earn points, but that would save the hassle of changing the name.  Just don't associate any RR account number with your reservation.  To check-in you would either need to lookup the reservation using the confirmation number and name or purchase EarlyBird.

To directly answer your question, yes, Southwest should be willing/able to change your name if you provide a marriage license, but personally that's more trouble than it's worth.

--TheMiddleSeat

Perhaps you could contact the airline and explain the situation. I could see one of two things happening

1) The travel funds are changed to reflect your married name  .or.

2) You ask that your SW account name be temporarily changed back to your maiden name so that you can use your travel funds and receive RR points.

Te downside to #2 is that if you receive more travel funds in your maiden name, then this situation will continue. Then you'll have to remember change back your married name on the account, too. 

Customer relations phone number (M-F normal business hours): 855-234-4654

dfwskier
Aviator A

Reminder:

ticket name and passport name need to match.

AN19034
Explorer C

Sorry, I meant to say the credits are in my married name. Sounds like i need to just book the new ticket usng my maiden name.