Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Purchasing Ticket for Unaccompanied Minor

minacee
Explorer C

My husband and I are wanting to fly his little brother who is under the age of 12 to us for the holidays. I read in the policies that the "Purchaser represents that he/she is either the parent or guardian of the minor child or has authority to act on behalf of the parent or guardian." If I want to purchase his ticket with my RapidReward points how would I prove that I have authority to act on behlaf of the parent.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Purchasing Ticket for Unaccompanied Minor

franktravel
Aviator B

Here is some information that may be of help to you.

There are three ways to book a flight for children ages five through 11 who will be traveling unaccompanied:

• For your convenience, you can book online at southwest.com
  • Call us at 1-800-435-9792
  • Make the reservation at the Southwest ticket counter at the airport

When you make a reservation for an Unaccompanied Minor, you will be required to fill out the necessary travel document and pay an Unaccompanied Minor service charge.

Once the Unaccompanied Minor reservation is complete, you will need to provide the confirmation number to the guardian designated to pick up or drop off the child.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@minacee wrote:

My husband and I are wanting to fly his little brother who is under the age of 12 to us for the holidays. I read in the policies that the "Purchaser represents that he/she is either the parent or guardian of the minor child or has authority to act on behalf of the parent or guardian." If I want to purchase his ticket with my RapidReward points how would I prove that I have authority to act on behlaf of the parent.

You don't have to physically "prove it" - the terms are saying that by contining your purchase you  are stating that you have the authority.

Edit: as the others have pointed out, there are some additional documentation steps before the child would fly. I was looking very narrowly at the legalese which might not be the whole advice you were looking for, in hindsight.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

franktravel
Aviator B

The Unaccompanied Minor paperwork requires information about your child, the person(s) picking up your child at his/her destination and the person dropping off the child. The paperwork must be fully complete in order to accept your child for travel. You may also be required to provide proof of the child's age.

Please provide the EXACT information about the person meeting the Unaccompanied Minor, including:

• Name
  • Address
  • Phone number (including area code)
  • Name, relationship, and phone numbers of an alternate contact