Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Refund/change flight policy needs addressed!!

halinphilly
Explorer C

Open Letter to the Southwest Airline Execs:

I am just adding my name to the list of those who have been completely blindsided by this pandemic and would like to express my deep disappointment in Southwest Airlines for not being a little more lenient with theie refund policy under these extenuating circumstances. This is not your typical, "Oh, I changed my mind, I'm not going" type of situation. Our lives and livelihoods are being completely upended.

The executive branch of the company must take another look at our refund requests and respond compassionately. When the airlines need a bailout, they don't blink an eye when  requesting billions in tax dollars that come out of our pockets. But the $324 that I desperately need right now while I have no way of knowing where my next 10 cents is coming from?  This is WRONG.

Look... I understand that the two customer service reps I spoke to on the phone are only doing their jobs and have no authorization to change policy. So I politely thanked them, and well - here I am!

I'm a 67-year-old cancer survivor which translates to diminished capacity and a lot less stamina than I had 5 or 6 years ago.

To quote Gary Kelly's LinkedIn profile, "Under Gary’s leadership, Southwest has grown to become the nation’s largest airline in terms of originating domestic passengers carried and is a mainstay on Fortune magazine’s list of the most admired companies in the world".

That being the case, it would be a magnanimous gesture and most appreciated by me and I'm sure many others who are in a similar predicament. 

When I booked this flight, I intentionally went with Southwest because I did not want to leave my fate in the hands of a cheap third-party online travel agent. So please prove my faith in Southwest Airlines to be right... and do the right thing.

Hal C.

halinphilly@gmail.com

jr13160
Adventurer C

@halinphilly I wrote 2 letters to corporate office, one to Gary Kelly and other to VP marketing hoping they’d do the right thing. 
if we all keep posting on EVERY SOCIAL Media outlet especially Twitter and LinkedIn maybe they’ll respond 

keep posting and writing. Don’t give up. Many of us are in similar situations and it’s very frustrating that they have let us down. They’ll suffer later when they loose all of us as loyal customers 

Donlee11
Explorer B

This goes well beyond asking Southwest to make a magnanimous gesture.   Trying to apply normal "no-refund" policies in this situation is, in a word, evil.   It is no different than stealing money.   Folks cannot -- should not -- fly.   We need folks to stay home.  Government/societal action is preempting our contract with Southwest.  For Southwest, or any airline or business, to act otherwise is arrogant, anti-societal, and evil.

In this moment we are demanding sacrifice from so many.  Refunding airfare for flights not taken is likely a small part of the financial situation facing Southwest.  Out and out greed is what it is.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Why are you likely to not get a refund of a non refundable fare from ANY airline? Read on:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Reservations/No-Airline-is-refunding-all-non-refundable-far...

apm
Adventurer C

Please publish all of the Executives addresses email ph# so that everyone can start contacting.

menapaulson
Explorer C

e you have extended the cutoff date. That will not help me. See below

I was told this flight was refundable when I booked it. When I called to cancel my flight, I was told I would receive a refund to my credit card. Since it has not appeared, I called to find out where it was and was told the flight was non-refundable????

Everything has been cancelled because of COVID-19 until next year, if we all survive until then. I don't think it is fair at all that through no fault of mine, all my plans were cancelled due to a global pandemic!

I am asking that my m/c  be refunded $375. I understand that my early bird charge of $50 is non-refundable. I can deal with that, but it should also be refunded.

I would gladly fly Southwest next year to Austin for the SXSW festival (your festival, by the way) and the Luck Reunion but it was all cancelled for this year.

Please consider this refund. The government is bailing you guys out. Southwest should do the right thing here and refund at least my $375. I am also disabled and on a walker so it is very difficult for me to get around as it is.

apm
Adventurer C

There is a petition on Change.org with over 3500 signatures in the past few days to get SW to change their policies. Sign it and share it. It is a shame as SW is usually a good caring value based company. I guess you see their true character and values in a time of need.

dfwskier
Aviator A