Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SWA changed my plans!

tfelterjr
Explorer C

I am one of four traveling in November.  My wife booked for her and me, and the other couple booked separately.  SWA has changed our return flight to one we don't really care for (had a nonstop, now we have a layover).  How do we go about getting all four of us moved to a nonstop?  

9 REPLIES 9

Re: SWA changed my plans!

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

Happened to me too.  They just implemented some changes due to ongoing issues with MAX aircraft.

The email you received notifying you of this change should have included a link for you to rebook along with a phone number you can call to rebook if you prefer to go that route.

You will be entitled to this change for free since SW made the change.  Note that you can only make the free change once, so be sure you know what you are looking to change to.

Good luck!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

SWDigits
Aviator A

When we had a flight change notification earlier this year we received an email message with the title "Changes to your upcoming Southwest trip."  The email also gave us the option to make a no cost change if the new flight didn't work for us -- instructions included an online option and a phone option.  I actually ended up using the chat function in the mobile app to make the change.

Bottom line get in touch with Southwest and they'll take a look.  One hiccup may be that a nonstop is no longer available but take a look at the schedule options before you get in touch with Southwest so that you have all of the relevant information.  My favorite resource is the flight schedule page, located here: https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-schedules/index.html

Customer | Home airport DCA

jcthompson62
Explorer C

When you say they let you change for free, is that even to another fare class?  There are no other Wanna Get Aways available for my day, and I'm anticipating having to change.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@jcthompson62 wrote:

When you say they let you change for free, is that even to another fare class?  There are no other Wanna Get Aways available for my day, and I'm anticipating having to change.

Yes, you should be able to change as long as a seat is available, regardless of fare.

rich1954
Adventurer A

Do you still retain earlybird checkin if you book a different flight same day.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@rich1954 wrote:

Do you still retain earlybird checkin if you book a different flight same day.

You should. But it doesn't always transfer over. I'd recommend double-checking to make sure the EarlyBird icon still shows on the new flight in your online account. If any questions, reach out to Customer Relations via Twitter or the chat option in the app.

ronnyradio
Adventurer A

Had the same thing/email from SW today on a Nov flt from LAX to TPA...took a look at the change and they booked me from a 1-stop itinerary to a FOUR stop milk run! LAX to MDW to RDU to FLL and then TPA. I mean really...so I look at the schedule and see several 1-stops from LAX top TPA at under 200 bucks. Why they can't use common sense and re-book you on a reasonable option is baffling. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ronnyradio wrote:

Had the same thing/email from SW today on a Nov flt from LAX to TPA...took a look at the change and they booked me from a 1-stop itinerary to a FOUR stop milk run! LAX to MDW to RDU to FLL and then TPA. I mean really...so I look at the schedule and see several 1-stops from LAX top TPA at under 200 bucks. Why they can't use common sense and re-book you on a reasonable option is baffling. 

Lot of changes happen all the time, so I'm pretty sure computers, and not people, make the changes. Sometimes they get it wrong.

If the airline gave you an itinerary you don't like, you can change to any available itinerary (same departure and arrival cities) that has available seats two weeks before your original departure date til 2 weeks after it.

ronnyradio
Adventurer A

Whatever....if their "computer system" has an algorithm that thinks the best option to go from Point A to Point B includes Point B, C, D and E then they must have bought from the same people who manage their WiFi.