Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Service Dog

servicedog
Explorer C

I'm sorry that you feel afraid of dogs, however please don't forget that a high percentage of people with service dogs have gone places and done things in other countries so that you can have the freedom to say whatever you want. These are Veterans and were you are scared of dogs they have acquired a possible fear of people or whatever they went through to get the way they are. Thank you for sharing.

Wonneberger
Explorer C

I would like to point out that an emotional support dog ESD and a service dog SD are two totally different things. 

A emotional support dog does not require any training and can basically just be any pet that hopefully is at least potty trained. They not aloud in grocery stores or restaurants either. I personally don’t understand why they are aloud in tide places like planes as it just seems to ask for trouble since they mostly don’t have training. 

Service dogs are high trained dogs that is used for medical reasons like seizures, diabetes etc. they are considered a medical device. Would you ask a person in a wheelchair to please leave that at home because you don’t like it? 

Texbabygirl
Adventurer B

Allowed=permitted, Aloud=Audible.

I agree with your view. As for the issue of documentation, some countries require visas some don't. Some restaurants require men to wear jackets, some don't. Companies require documentation in different forms. Never rely on what an individual person 'tells' you regarding documentation. Read the disseminated policy, follow it and you are good to go.

Summasumma
Explorer C

I agree with most of this , but singling out the fact that it was a pit is absolutely irrelevant and adding to the unjust persecution of an animal that is smart and loving. It's how a dog was raised not the breed, using that stereotype is ignorant and adding to everyone else's ignorance on the subject. There are plenty of service dogs with genes that fall under the category (it's not its own breed) of pitbull. So to question the animals validity based on breed is just disturbing.

Chicana4life
Explorer C

This message is to Concilia, 

Passengers who are suffering from emotional stress should seek medical care. Support and service animals are medically necessary for patients like my self, to travel with a trained animal based on a board certified medical professional! For example, if the passenger has an episode the animal knows exactly what to do! Hence why they are “service animals” these animals are specifically trained to treat that particular individual medical needs. Everyone suffering from emotional stress due to the Presence of the animal likely will not have a clue on how to treat or react if the disabled (mental or physical disability) person were to have an episode. This message is to educate your ignorance and hope you seek help for your emotional stress since I know the first signs based on my psychiatric medical disability. Thank you, Rebecca G.

Texbabygirl
Adventurer B

This message is for Rebecca:

The ADA does not require individuals to do anything for persons with disabilities. I point this out because you have addressed a specific individual (actually in my view attacked her). We, the general public, are not required to accommodate individuals with disabilities, based on the ADA, organizations and entities are. Airlines pass the buck to other passengers and expect us to share in their responsibility, when, in point of fact we have no obligation to do so. This is why a person can request a new seat if they don't want to sit by some one for any reason, including behavior that might be related to your psychiatric condition. I don't have to be subjected to you, no one does. And the ADA doesn't and can't require me.

The ADA does not dampen our rights, it does not give you new or special rights. It merely ensures an airline does not say, we are afraid due to your psychiatric condition you will lose control on a flight and therefore, you can't fly with us. If we extend that example, it does not however protect your behavior if you do lose control and become disruptive. Removing you from a plane for disruptive behavior is perfectly legal and required since that sort of behavior can endanger others. Now, if they removed you for disruptive behavior but not some drunk for the same disruptive behavior, that's going to be a problem.

Loll
Explorer C

1.  One was a pit bull sitting on the passenger's lap

- while this is not typical and prohibited by the airline, please consider that the animal may have been performing a necessary task for which you had no context

2.  SW employeea are not even allowed to ask what purpose the dog is serving?

- In order to get your ticket, a southwest employee must verify that you have the necessary paperwork and observe the animal’s behavior.  They are legally (ADA guidelines) allowed to ask what services the animal performs to mitigate their partner’s disability.  

3.  What abot considering ALL passengers rights instead of those with a dog?

- Passengers with a trained service animal, regardless of the nature of their disability, are working as partners in order to allow disabled people to live the fullest lives possible.  If you believe that those whose disabilities or associated medical needs inconvenience you (violate your rights) should not be given equal access is, then you may want to attack the validity of the ADA directly.

- As it seems that your life is not mitigated by the effects of a disability, it seems likely that you are capable of avoiding dogs on airplanes unless you are being forced into said plane.

Texbabygirl
Adventurer B

Boy, people really think the ADA is a huge sharp sword. It is actually quite limited. It requires non-discrimination and access. Service animals such as those for the blind perform essential functions, namely if the individual can physically not get around without them then not permitting the animal denies them access. An emotional support animal for , let's say fear of flying, is different. ADA isn't there to make your trip comfortable. As for discriminatory, if the airline said, we don't allow service animals but we allow pets in the cabin, that is discriminatory. The ADA is not nearly as broad as the general public believes it is. The years of people stretching it, using it as a weapon, has brought us to this regrettable position of people being so tired of having that axe swung at them, the true constriction of the ADA is now becoming clear. Its protections are quite limited. Its too bad really because if hostile people who believe they are soooooo very entitled based on their meager knowledge of the ADA would just ask nicely, they would discover most folks are kind and helpful when you don't threaten them or act like a spoiled Child when you don't get your way. Bottom line: The law and documentation are clear on this point. All the bullying of crew and other passengers doesn't turn an ESA into a service animal, nor does it turn a restricted species or non-recognized species of 'service' animal into a service animal just because you think it should. Follow disseminated policy and everyone flies fine. Otherwise, write your congressperson.

teterde
Explorer C

I agree, the service dog issue has gotten out of hand.  I looked up how to get teh paperwork and it costs $125, and you can do it online.

I am allergic to some dogs, and watched two large dogs get nippy with each other.  Neither of the boarders seemed to be unfit, outside of the gate, but carried the persona while boarding.  Both were ready to party when they hit Denver.  One was wearing rock climbing gear. 

Ruthie65
Explorer C

A recent study of 35 breeds chihuahua's were the #1 biters. pit bulls came in at the bottom of the line. my 9 year old crippled grandson has had a 75lb pitt bull lovingly caring for him since he was 3 yrs old. I guarantee That dog on the plane was better behaved than most humans. Maybe you need a support animal there's no other love and loyalty like them in the world... BAD PEOPLE MAKE BAD DOGS ALL BREEDS! Plz don't judge what you don't know...