Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Shame on Southwest, no leader in the face of a pandemic

Kimiko23
Explorer B

Shame on you, Southwest Airlines! I am a family medicine physician, on the frontlines of this pandemic. I like millions of Americans had travel plans scheduled during this pandemic. I had plan to take my family to Disneyland, but Disneyland closed their doors understanding the social implications and health and safety concerns. Today I called Southwest to request to cancel our flight. I like my fellow neighbors are practicing social distancing (when I am not working). This pandemic may affect 40-70% of our population and could extend into December. I was told by the representative that because of the type of ticket I purchased I would be given credit to use prior to January 23, 2021. Again this pandemic may still be underway in January,  or we could be dealing with the aftermath. The only other option I was given was to: 1) travel into one of the highest effective areas in the country with my family, 2) suffer a loss of close to $4K or 3) loss $800 by extending out the date we use our credit. The customer service representative mocked by stating that I though Southwest was contributing to the spread of the pandemic, but if they continue to practice as they are, then they most definitely are contributing to it. I challenge you: Join your other corporate allies and consider the greater good!! Until then, shame on you!

12 REPLIES 12

South West Uncompromising Policy to make more money during a crisis

IwillneverflySW
Explorer C

My wife planned a vacation trip to Hawaii in April 2020.  It would have been my daughter's first trip there and 12 years since we visited the islands.  Unfortunately the coronavirus pandemic threw a monkey wrench into everyone's life.  My wife is now freaked out about traveling to the airport and stuck on a plane full of people.  

The problem is South West won't budge on their policy to cancel and refund the flight.  Our options are:

1. We have to spend more money to change the flight to another date.

2. Cancel the flight and take a travel credit for a year.

3. Spend even more money to extend that travel credit past the expiration date.

We have no idea how long the coronavirus situation will drag on to.  We have no guarantee that life and work would allow a reschedule of the vacation trip to fit into the expiration timeline.  The only answer they can give you when you call is "That is our current policy".  What a joke.  SW's tag line that they are a "Customer Service Company that flies Airplanes" is a Joke.  South West would not know anything about Customer Service.  They just know to TAKE ADVANTAGE OF A CRISIS TO TAKE MORE MONEY FROM THEIR CUSTOMERS.  

I work for Marriott Hotels.  Marriott knows Customer Service.  We waived all Cancelation restrictions to make it easier for customers during this challenging time because we UNDERSTAND what they are going through.  We know that our Customer will be future customer once this crisis blows through.  South West clearly do not know that.  Read the comments on this Forum, South West.  GET THE HINT.  LISTEN to your customer.  

Here's another HINT SW.  Take a look at my Username.  I register for this forum just to leave this message.  I will NEVER give my money to South West again as long as I live!

Re: Shame on Southwest, no leader in the face of a pandemic

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

The other airlines are not issuing refunds all they are doing is allowing people to cancel for a credit for a flight within a year (Southwest has done this forever) or they can change to a different flight without a fee (which Southwest never charges to change a flight just a fare difference) so seems like Southwest is the leader on that since they have been doing this for some time now. 

If you would like to discuss your displeasure with the current policy you can reach out to Southwest directly though one of these methods: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

FD
Explorer C

Rising Star-

you totally missed my point about the virus, the declaration of an National Emergency and instructions from the government to stay away from large crowds of people. You are so focused on defending your policy that you didn't take the time to LISTEN, or address anything concern I expressed. 

But please respond to this email. I'm all ears

bec102896
Aviator A

@FD wrote:

Rising Star-

you totally missed my point about the virus, the declaration of an National Emergency and instructions from the government to stay away from large crowds of people. You are so focused on defending your policy that you didn't take the time to LISTEN, or address anything concern I expressed. 

But please respond to this email. I'm all ears

I am a customer just like most everyone else here. I'm not defending the policy just stating it. 

If I was in charge of the airline there may be a couple things I'd do differently but since I don't work for Southwest and im not in charge all I can do is share my feedback with the airline. That's why I suggested you contract southwest so maybe they can assist you on a case by case basis. 

-Blake

FD
Explorer C

So let me get this right. SWA is seeking Federal assistance for the financial hit they will take for the Corona Virus but, they refuse to refund our money because of a ticket restriction (non refundable ticket). In other words, they want an exception/help for this unforeseen event but they won’t help their customers. Local, state and federal agencies have all advised against being in a public area with a large group of people. Well in my opinion being on a plane with 215 passengers falls into that category. I have been a loyal customer of this airline but no longer. SWA has no loyalty to their customers and they are only concerned with their bottom line. I will spend $100.00 more on their competitor airline before I spend one penny on another SWA flight. 

Today the Federal Government declared an National Emergency. SWA get a clue. Some of your customers are being laid off or are dealing with some sort of financial hard-ship while you keep their money and earn interest on it. During this National Emergency the customer should determine the refund method. Not SWA

dfwskier
Aviator A

@FD wrote:

So let me get this right. SWA is seeking Federal assistance for the financial hit they will take for the Corona Virus but, they refuse to refund our money because of a ticket restriction (non refundable ticket). In other words, they want an exception/help for this unforeseen event but they won’t help their customers.

Wow. I didn't know that Southwest is asking for Federal assistance. Please provide a link so that I can read about it

I will spend $100.00 more on their competitor airline before I spend one penny on another SWA flight. 

What, and have them treat you just like Southwest does?

NO AIRLINE is refunding non refundable tickets unless you happen to have a reservation on a flight that is canceled. NO AIRLINE has changed their respective equivalent travel funds policies to extend expiration dates.

Other airlines are simply dropping change and cancellation penalties. Southwest has never charged those fees.

NOTHAPPY99
Explorer B

Same here, I’m spending our money else where - going back to Delta - ,it will be worth the extra money. 

Shame on Southwest!!!!!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@NOTHAPPY99 wrote:

Same here, I’m spending our money else where - going back to Delta - ,it will be worth the extra money. 

Shame on Southwest!!!!!

You do know that Delta is handling the situation EXACTLY the same way that Southwest is, don't you?

Delta is not giving refunds for non refundable tickets -- Southwest isn't either.

Delta is giving it version of Travel funds when non refundable tickets are cancelled - Southwest is doing the same thing.

Delta has not extended expiration dates on it;s version of travel funds - Southwest hasn't either.

So, what is so much better about Delta's treatment of people?

jksobonya
Aviator A

Delta is also cutting flights by 40% - so - best of luck 😉 

—Jessica