Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

So thankful for no change fees!!!

jksobonya
Aviator A

Hi folks,

I have been flying Southwest almost exclusively for the past decade. Over the years I have become more adventurous with my flight bookings, booking here and there and changing flights on a whim if I find a better flight time, price, or want to extend my trip by a day or two. I love that with SWA you can change flights any time, and pay NOTHING except the fare difference if the flight price is higher, or you are credited if the flight price is lower. I've become so used to rebooking flights that it came as a huge shock when I wanted to change a flight I booked with American (at the time, it was cheaper than SWA when I booked). Do you have any idea how much they charge *just* to change a flight? $200!! I read it multiple times thinking it must be a joke. Who has $200 on *top* of the price difference just to modify a flight? Granted, my flight is a 'basic economy' fare so I don't even have the option to change it online at all - I'd have to call. I've thought about canceling the flight directly, but I am not sure if I lose the funds or if I can apply the funds to a future flight (which would be preferable), or if I get charged a fee just to cancel the flight.

Madness. Has anyone dealt with American and changing / canceling flights? What did you do?

Thank you SWA for no change fees, you have no idea how much of a game changer that is when compared to other airlines!!

--Jessica

3 REPLIES 3

Re: So thankful for no change fees!!!

SWDigits
Aviator A

I'm not an expert but I think you're out of luck with the scenario you mentioned with AA though you should get in touch with them to confirm.  Check out this third party web page dated July 9, 2019:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/how-to-survive-basic-economy-on-american-airlines/

Customer | Home airport DCA

jksobonya
Aviator A

Thank you!! That is what I figured. It's strange to me that AA is not nearly as accommodating when it comes to flight changes, considering that they are the largest airline in the world. You would think they would give at least some flexibility for changes, even for the 'basic economy' fare. But you know what they say, you get what you pay for ... especially with them!

--Jessica

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I am so very thankful for the flexibility SW gives me with work travels where my plans change constantly!

It also literally made my long distance dating life easier!  I would book my work trip and then change the return leg to see my fiancee; if there was a cost difference, I paid the small amount.  If not, I saved the fare difference for another work trip.  MAGIC!

-A List, Companion Pass holder