Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest Lost Baggage is a Huge Issue for a Big and Tall Passanger

Pearl120
Explorer C

I was hoping you could help me with something regarding claim LASWN01374853. 

My father flew to Las Vegas for a conference in January and his bag did not arrive. Southwest has been incredibly frustrating to work with every step of the way. We filed a claim immediately. They said that the bag would be on the next flight because it didn't make it due to a delay from TSA. 3 days later they said it must have been stolen in Vegas and that we should have filed a police report - ummm what?! That contradicted it not getting on the plane because of TSA. They lied numerous times and failed to update us at all. The employees in Las Vegas were downright rude.

They never offered a voucher until the 4th day and provided no assistance what so ever. The suitcase itself was an expensive item purchased less then a month before.

My father is a "big and tall" man and finding him clothing quickly and easily was actually very difficult. We ended up getting him some t-shirts from the outlet mall after researching our options but that was pretty annoying to have to get to a store to find things that would fit him. He wears a specific dress-shirt cut and it seemed pointless to buy anything nice that he would literally never wear again. 

Now Southwest is not taking our email receipts as proof of purchase that are generated when you make a purchase online. They say it doesn't have any credit card information - well duh, it's for security and PCI compliance. There would never be credit card information in emailed receipts from e-Commerce. My father doesn't shop in a store, he just orders his sizes online so we don't have anything other then digital receipts. Yes, his shirts are fairly expensive - larger sizes for a lawyer so it has to be nice but it shouldn't be such an issue to replace them. Oddly, his pants are very inexpensive from Dickies. We are not asking for anything grandiose. He was on a 2 week trip so there was quite a bit of his wardrobe in his luggage. We asked for $2,600 which is a fraction of what was actually lost. We just thought hey, let's be fair and now it's turned into a prove it that is borderline insulting.

Now I'm annoyed that I didn't file for all of the 14 dress shirts that were lost and that Southwest is adding insult by demanding receipts that don't actually exist because they were emailed. I don't see what the issue is. They are continuing to do wrong by the customer. A few expensive dress shirts for an attorney should just be settled. What can I do to resolve this?

Thank you for any advice!