Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest Mobile App for Android software version 4.1.1 (JellyBean)

sf1tom
Explorer C

Is any Southwest Mobile App available for my Android  mobile that uses Android 4.1.1 software version?  When I try to download the current app, I get a message saying that it is not compatible with my system. 

I asked this specific question  to Southwest Customer Service by email, but they did not bother to read my message and just sent a very generic reply encouraging me to download the current app for my iPhone or Android.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Southwest Mobile App for Android software version 4.1.1 (JellyBean)

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, Southwest only offers the current version of the app for iOS or Android (requires 5.0 and up). You might be able to find an older version archived somewhere online, but that's a stretch. I'd recommend using mobile.southwest.com until you update to a newer OS.

sf1tom
Explorer C

I did receive a confirmatory notice from Southwest Customer Service that they were looking into my question more thoroughly, and then a couple days later received a phone call from them, which was very nice and much appreciated.  Unfortunately, the agent confirmed that there was no Southwest Mobile App available for my Android operating system 4.1.1, for which my service provider ( ATT) will not support an upgrade on my Motorola ATRIX device (which was very disappointing).  I'll try to use the mobile.southwest.com website .

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @sf1tom,

I'm sorry we weren't able to get you a more satisfying answer at this time, but we'll continue to focus on improving our software and better serving all our Customers. 

Danbjr
Explorer C

Really poor customer service.

Jody56
Explorer C

Can't even find an older version of app.  The older version I had has disappeared. I am NOT loving SWA at this time.  Apprently there are a lot of folks that are having the same problem.  Perhaps SWA needs to find a solution?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I can guarantee you that Southwest will not find a "solution" that allows you to use their app on older devices. Their IT team -- already not known for being particularly adept -- is overwhelmed with bug fixes and "upgrade" implementations. They've launched a new version of the app, with limited support for older OSs, and there's no way they're going to go backwards and retrofit to users on older systems, regardless of how many users may be affected. It's just not going to happen. Their suggested fix is to use the mobile website. Good luck.

Re: Southwest Mobile App for Android being cancelled indiscriminately

jefles86
Explorer C

I have Samsung version 6, and it is not compatible with the SW app. Called Samsung, they were clueless. Called SW - they did not know there was a problem. Emailed the developer - no response. Just buy a new phone and hope it works.