Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Stolen luggage items

veryunhappy
Explorer C

I have also had items stolen from my Southwest luggage two times now.  I assure you they will do nothing citing their own policy which is a lame excuse to leave unhappy passengers hanging.  They are polite but in reality are giving you the finger. I also have advised my company i will no longer use SW and they will remove it from our approved list for me and our other frequent travelers .  At the very least i would expect some action to catch the culprits. I expected some resolution since this is my second theft experience with SW.....but forget it they are useless and had the nerve to offer me a $75 voucher for a future flight that won't happen.  i guess that shuts up some people.  DO not use SW. While this probably happens with other airlines we need to push the issus so they take some action.  It apparently is cheaper to blow off customers rather than help us feel safe trusting them. Makes me wonder what else they scimp on.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Stolen luggage items

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As said in prior posts, your problem is more likely to be with TSA who actually inspects the baggage. Southwest drops bags into the TSA queue and then picks them up and puts them on the plane. TSA actually looks in the bag and goes through them so perhaps filing a report/claim with them would be more appropriate. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/passenger-support/claims

This also means that flying other airlines won't shield you from the theft. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Passenger1C
Aviator C

Since you claim your bag was stolen, did you file a police report?  I'm not sure how this is SWA's fault?  

I think it was a nice gesture to offer you $75.00 for theft that the airline was not at fault for.

The great customer service SWA delivers is exactly why the Fortune 500 company I work for has SWA as an approved airline. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

SilviaC
Explorer B

I urge everyone that has had items stolen from their luggage while flying with Southwest to get together and make this go public, because it’s very unfair that we are not allowed to travel with or expensive items in our checking bags because of the high possibilities of our items being stolen, and it seems that Southwest automatically wants to point the finger at TSA, however TSA has no problem providing proof of an investigation while Southwest sent a generic letter stating that due to their investigation they are not responsible. We need to let the public know that traveling with Southwest you are facing a high probability of your items being stolen from your luggage and nothing being done about it 

I am seriously thinking of calling our local news station so they can start an investigation as well

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

What other airlines have baggage handlers at this airport? Ever stop to think that any one of them could have stolen things? Laughable to think only TSA and Southwest would have access to your bag while traveling. Again, ruling out TSA because of some "investigation" does not make Southwest guilty.

--TheMiddleSeat

SilviaC
Explorer B

Southwest was in Possession and care of my luggage therefore they should be responsible for anything that happens to luggage checked in with them . And if that’s not the case then they should be advertising or letting people know that once you check in your bag Southwest is not responsible even though you’re flying with them. It’s so simple to do their due diligence check cameras and submit prove that they are not at fault. If  Southwest employees are taking items from bags that are checked in then Southwest is responsible for their actions. 

i’m getting a sensor a feeling that you either work for the airline or are affiliated with the airline because I have seen your reply to everyone’s messages in regards to stolen items from their luggage and your reply seems to be the same to everyone. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I have no affiliation with Southwest other than being a Community Champion. I am just pointing out the major flaws in your finger pointing.

--TheMiddleSeat

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Hi @SilviaC. We're sincerely sorry to hear about your missing items. As a Customer-to-Customer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here, but we encourage you to Contact Customer Relations for assistance. Thank you.

Nicole
Community Manager

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SilviaC wrote:

Southwest was in Possession and care of my luggage therefore they should be responsible for anything that happens to luggage checked in with them . And if that’s not the case then they should be advertising or letting people know that once you check in your bag Southwest is not responsible even though you’re flying with them.

You sign off on this when you check luggage, its in the terms. The other airlines likely have something similar. 

They do cover a limited amount of damage, or if the luggage itself was lost but that wasn't what was described. See section 7.

https://www.southwest.com/assets/pdfs/corporate-commitments/contract-of-carriage.pdf

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

cslewis1962
Explorer C

I traveled from Kona to Oahu to Sacramento today (November 27) and had my two month old 13" MacBook air and bose 360 radio stolen from my checked luggage. Dont know if it was TSA or Southwest; as a topper, they also stole my mouse.