Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Tickets

Deion
Explorer C

So about a month ago I purchased 3 tickets for a flight and one of my friends that I purchased the ticket for is no longer able to go. I want to give his ticket to another friend of mine but southwest won’t let me change the name on the ticket. What can I do about this? I need it to be a fast fix cause the trip is August 2nd. Could he just use the ticket without me changing the name? 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Tickets

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Deion wrote:

So about a month ago I purchased 3 tickets for a flight and one of my friends that I purchased the ticket for is no longer able to go. I want to give his ticket to another friend of mine but southwest won’t let me change the name on the ticket. What can I do about this? I need it to be a fast fix cause the trip is August 2nd. Could he just use the ticket without me changing the name? 

Hi

Giving the ticket to another person would not work. That person would have to get through TSA security. That requires the name on the ticket and the name of he tarveler's passport/dirivers license, etc. to match -- which it would not.

I'm afraid that the only way to get a new traveler to join you is buy a new ticket.

Sorry.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Tickets are non-transferrable. Assuming you bought a Wanna Get Away fare, they're non-refundable as well. But Southwest will allow the original passenger to use the funds towards another flight with no additional change fee (just a fare difference, if applicable) for one full year from the date you made the original purchase. Perhaps you could have the friend who is unable to go pay for the ticket for the new passenger?

Deion
Explorer C

Why would the fund be in his name when I purchased the ticket with my card? 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Deion wrote:

Why would the fund be in his name when I purchased the ticket with my card? 

The funds belong to the person whose name is  on the ticket - even though you paid for the ticket.  That's the way it works for every airline. Sorry.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Southwest used to allow funds from cancelled tickets to be used by anyone, but ended that in 2011. Now, like other carriers, tickets (and any associated funds) are non-transferrable.

Here's some detailed info: Fare Rules

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Tickets are non-transferrable. Assuming you bought a Wanna Get Away fare, they're non-refundable as well. But Southwest will allow the original passenger to use the funds towards another flight with no additional change fee (just a fare difference, if applicable) for one full year from the date you made the original purchase. Perhaps you could have the friend who is unable to go pay for the ticket for the new passenger?

If you want a workaround @Deion this is probably one of the best ways. As long as the person no longer flying will take a trip before the expiration, this would be fair.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Deion
Explorer C

How would this be a work around? I’m confused 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Deion wrote:

How would this be a work around? I’m confused 

The person who is no longer going on this trip retains the funds in his name and can use them for another trip within one year of the date of purchase. That money you spent on his ticket effectively becomes his now. As a way of "paying you back" he would buy the ticket for the person who is now going in his place.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

The travel funds are not transferable, but just as you bought a ticket for someone else that they now "own" they could return the favor. 

If that person doesn't plan to fly Southwest for the next year they may not be interested though, it depends on the travel funds having value to them.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.