Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds for Rental Car

labati
Explorer C

Hi,

I will be making a reservation using travel funds from a previously cancelled trip. I will have a bit leftover after my new flight reservation is made and I am wondering if I can apply the remainder toward car rental.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Travel Funds for Rental Car

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Nope. Travel funds can only be used towards airfare. 

reneerose
Explorer A

Seriously?  I cannot use leftover $40 for a rental car for a currently booked Southwest trip?  Why do they do this to us?  I know.  Profits.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@reneerose wrote:

Seriously?  I cannot use leftover $40 for a rental car for a currently booked Southwest trip?  Why do they do this to us?  I know.  Profits.

Sorry, but SW travel credits can only be used on future SW flights, and not on  rental cars.  Why? Two different companies

That;s no different than not being able to use a No rdstrum's credit at Macy's. Why?  Two different companies.

reneerose
Explorer A

Ok thanks....I guess because of the association, the instinctive response is to think that travel funds extend beyond air travel and companies.....oh well....goodbye $49.50 in unused travel funds that I can't even use towards early bird check-ins

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Southwest Vacations apparently may be a "yes", but not any booking that ends up direcct with another hotel or car rental company.

The vacations, although a separate company from Southwest, it's a closer relationship. I don't know the fine print - maybe it works only if a flight is included in the vacation package, I'm not sure.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

You can apply Travel Funds towards vacation packages booked through Southwest Vacations (actually Mark Travel Corporation). And, of course, towards air travel on Southwest. But that's it. No group travel, extra-fee Southwest products (EarlyBird Check-In, Upgraded Boarding, etc.), hotels or rental-cars, despite being able to book them on the Southwest website.