Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds

bbgaley
Explorer C

I purchased 3 tickets in May 2017.  The prices went down $166/ticket and I received over $500 in travel funds that have to be used my May 2018.  When I received these funds I told them that we would not be travelling until June or July 2018.  The Representative told me that she would note my account and that I should contact Southwest in 2018 to extend the date.  She NEVER mentioned that I would have ANY problems doing this (including fees and restrictions).  I called several times and asked the Representative the same questions and I received the same answers-no problems.  They ALL told me that they would document my account so that I WOULD NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS!  Now I am being told a different story.  What can be done?  We have travelled with Southwest several times and have never had airline problems.  Now it appears that we will have ticket problems.  What can be done?  

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Travel Funds

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

The reps were probably talking about having your funds reissued after expiration. Despite what you may have been told (or more likely thought you were) the policy doesn't change -- Southwest never extends funds -- their system doesn't even allow it. 

Presumably you were fine with the price you paid when you first booked your tickets. Getting a price adjustment via travel funds is a bonus, something that other carriers don't even do. Southwest puts limits on those funds as a matter of policy, and you're requesting a special exception. That exception, if granted, also comes with limitations.

Remember, you bought non-refundable tickets.

At this point, you can wait for the funds to expire and request they be reissued as vouchers, for a fee of $100 per ticket. That will at least recover some of your funds.

bbgaley
Explorer C

My PROBLEM WAS NOT SOLVED!!!!!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You didn't specify what it is you are currently being told, but I will assume it's that you can't make a reservation with the funds for travel after the funds expire. If that's the case, the suggestion from @chgoflyer would most likely work, you just need to let the funds expire. 

"At this point, you can wait for the funds to expire and request they be reissued as vouchers, for a fee of $100 per ticket. That will at least recover some of your funds." 

Tom0602
Explorer C

So if I let my funds expire, I have a round trip ticket for both me and my wife, will they be taking $400 in fees to have them reissued as vouchers?  Or is a round trip ticket considered one ticket?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Round trip is considered one ticket.

jojoher
Explorer C

I am having the sanme issues.

i was applied travel funds because of Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico.

I was told that I had to book the new flights by March 30th of 2018, not that the flight needed to be completed by this date.

So, when I called customer relations, they told me that I could wait until the expiration date and call back to get it extedned for 6 months at $100 per person cost. that would be $400 that I will lose on my travel funds. this is not fair. My Family and i have always traveled with Southwest and have not had any issues until now. Can you please review this and contact me to see if a one courtersy can be done so that I will not lose any of my travel funds?

bbgaley
Explorer C

I have contacted Southwest directly several times regarding my complaint and asked to speak to a Manager.  I even sent them another message online and I have not heard back from them yet.  This is very frustrating because we are planning a trip at the end of June 2018 (less than a month after the funds expire) and we were hoping to use them.  In order to use Southwest we have to drive 1 1/2 hrs but we are willing to do that because of the times/price.  However, with this poor customer service we might have to look elsewhere.  I hope you have better luck!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jojoher wrote:

I am having the sanme issues.

i was applied travel funds because of Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico.

I was told that I had to book the new flights by March 30th of 2018, not that the flight needed to be completed by this date.

So, when I called customer relations, they told me that I could wait until the expiration date and call back to get it extedned for 6 months at $100 per person cost. that would be $400 that I will lose on my travel funds. this is not fair. My Family and i have always traveled with Southwest and have not had any issues until now. Can you please review this and contact me to see if a one courtersy can be done so that I will not lose any of my travel funds?

There might have been an option at the time to refund instead of take travel funds, I would ask customer service about that where it wasn't clear what the options were at the time, or the timing of when the funds would be used.

https://www.southwest.com/html/advisories/swa_travel_advisory_20178171505686202888.html

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.