Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel May 27 to Costa Rica

gmari
Explorer C

I have purchased tickets for our family of 10 to fly to Costa Rica May 27.  We do not think it is safe to take this trip.  I purchased the tickets Dec 2, 2019 so from what I understand I can cancel this trip but would have to use the credit by Dec 2.  There is no way we could do that as a family.  Help.  What do I do?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Travel May 27 to Costa Rica

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@gmari wrote:

I have purchased tickets for our family of 10 to fly to Costa Rica May 27.  We do not think it is safe to take this trip.  I purchased the tickets Dec 2, 2019 so from what I understand I can cancel this trip but would have to use the credit by Dec 2.  There is no way we could do that as a family.  Help.  What do I do?

I'd Encourage you to wait a bit before making a decision. No one knows what will and will not be safe at the end of May.

Also, if SW cancels your flight, you will be eligible for a refund.

If SW does not cancel your flight, and you cancel by the end of May, each of the members of your family will be issued a travel fund good thru June 2021.

gmari
Explorer C

Thank you

This is from the info SW sent me.  I understood it to mean if SW cancels the flight.  Are you saying if I cancel the flight before our trip, the travel funds will be good until June 2021?

"Any travel funds created because of a flight cancellation between March 1-May 31, 2020, will have an expiration date of June 30, 2021."

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Hi. If you cancel, then the ten members of your group will each have a travel fund that is good thru 6/30/21.

IF SW cancels your flight, you can take travel funds, but the airline MUST provide a refund  if you demand one..