Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling with a car seat

Cdever410
Explorer C

If I plan on using my child's carseat on the plane in her own seat, how am I going to get around the airport with it, while carrying my infant and holding onto my toddler?

Does the airline provide some form of assistance getting the carseat from the car to the plane, and then off the plane to get it to the car at our destination?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Traveling with a car seat

sarahsmith
Frequent Flyer C
Solution

Hey there!

I don't know of formal assistance that you can sign up for. However, I can tell you what I typically do, if traveling alone with my two kids, is wear the baby. I have a simple stroller that I put my car seat and diaper bag on. My toddler holds onto the stroller and we just give ourselves plenty of time to walk through. 

At the gate I leave the stroller and if anyone offers help with carrying on the car seat, I accept. If not, I put the diaper bag on my back (baby is on my front) and have my toddler walk ahead of me until we find a row. 

Make sure to family board, after A group! If you have other questions, post here and maybe we can give you more ideas!

Emi
Explorer C

Hi. Is my firts trip with my daughter I want to know if it is safe to leave the car seat in the counter with the bags or it is better to leave it at the door of the plane. I'm wearing the stroller, the car seat, backpack and one suitecase

I need recomendations 

Thank You  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Emi wrote:

Hi. Is my firts trip with my daughter I want to know if it is safe to leave the car seat in the counter with the bags or it is better to leave it at the door of the plane. I'm wearing the stroller, the car seat, backpack and one suitecase

I need recomendations 

Thank You  

I have checked car seats many times and been fine, although it isn't a guarantee - definitely consider at least using a bag or cover to prevent scuffs and cosmetic damage. Southwest sells bags at the baggage service and ticket counters for $17 if you don't have your own. It can't hurt having the Southwest blue bag and logo on there as well, everyone will know whats in there!

"Safest" option is to gate check - then you know 100% that it makes it on the plane with you, and if you don't see it come back up you will be waiting for it right outside the aircraft door until someone locates it.

But if the other option is 99.9% is it worth carrying the car seat through the airport? Most people say "no" and check it, especially if you'll be taking a lot with you already that will be a challenge to maneuver through the airport.

When baby was little we had the click and ride stroller that the car seat snapped into - in that case we put both stroller and car seat into the blue bag.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

tsgiles
Explorer C

I would be concerned that a rental car is even available at your destination.  I had a reservation for a car through SouthWorst airlines and when I got to my destination no car.  They said there was nothing they could do for my inconvenience.  GOOD LUCK, you'll need it!