Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling with an emotional support dog

Milbabe65
Explorer C

I'm new at traveling with an emotional support dog.  I've read all the regulations and rules I can find.  My dog is an Old English Sheepdog....not exactly a lap dog and what I've read states the dog can sit on your lap but not in an airplane seat.

What does one do when the dog weights 80 lbs?

Concerned

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Traveling with an emotional support dog

samazach
Explorer C
Solution

You request the bulkhead. I traveled with a 60 lb golden retriever puppy.

Milbabe65
Explorer C

Thanks

julieannweekly
Explorer C

Samazach or milbabe65, Did you buy a second seat? I will be traveling on my own with a 50 pound lab puppy.

brendabean
Adventurer C

You should arrive at the airport 2 hours before your flight so that you can get to your gate before your flight starts to board. Then go to the desk at your gate and request a preboard pass so that you can get on the flight and sit in the bulkhead. We just flew Southwest and got to the gate after they started to board and it was a stressful situation for us. Bringing a blanket that our dog is familiar with also helps. Here are some tips on flying with a large ESA dog. 

Reddit on Flying with a large dog

How to fly with a large ESA dog

katherinelisa00
Explorer C

I really appreciate you for your work. Keep posting such contents for us. Emotional Support Animal letter

esalettercalifo
Explorer C

Very useful content information is provided by you. Most people don't know about an Emotional Support Animal Letter.