Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Vampire Flights

scaryharry
Explorer C

there should be a way to fly on a flight with no windows like vampires so we can sleep and maybe even the sides where there used to be windows could have cushions btw this is emmalines idea not mine you could call them vampire flights®. you wouldn't have to do the whole flight maybe just the back half and there could be curtains and the front half could be for clostrfobic people and the back half could be for me so i could sleep 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Vampire Flights

bec102896
Aviator A

@scaryharry

Thats an intreasting idea however I don't think that will happen. I do agree it would be nice if there was a dark area (multiple rows in a section with no windows) to sleep on the plane however I believe for safety reasons that doesn't exist.

One main reason I believe there are windows is for safety. For example I have been on some flights (SW and competitor airlines) where in the exit row the window shade must be open so you can see outside should something happen at take off or landing. So sure that could be the row with a window but I feel if there were an emergency where power is out on the whole plane then the open windows might be the "light saver". 

I also think more people these days have the window shade up so they can see outside (excluding bright sunny times) and there are some planes where a row doesn't have a window. Maybe you could get one of those. 

The best thing to do is get a window seat so your in more control of the window shade being up or down. I would go last row that way there is no window behind you to bring light your way and if your traveling with others maybe they could get the window on the other side of the plane or window seat on the row in front of you (just an idea) for the best chance of darkness. 

Another note there will be overhead lights on (dim or full) so that might make it harder to sleep which is usually for safety 

You could also look in to an eye mask (The Points Guy sells some good ones in his online store) and it will be nice and dark for you to sleep.

Hope you are able to get a nice dark spot to sleep on your future flights!

Blake 

Re: Vampire Flights

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@scaryharry wrote:

there should be a way to fly on a flight with no windows like vampires so we can sleep and maybe even the sides where there used to be windows could have cushions btw this is emmalines idea not mine you could call them vampire flights®. you wouldn't have to do the whole flight maybe just the back half and there could be curtains and the front half could be for clostrfobic people and the back half could be for me so i could sleep 

No problem - just book flights in the late evening. 

More seriously, I think @bec102896's suggestions are the best alternative to bring masks/headphones to try and isolate yourself, on partially filled flights head to the back (for full flights or flights to LAS or MCO this is not a quite zone...), and check out Seat Guru for identifying the one or two locations on Southwest's fleet where the window seat does not have a window:

9A and 10F on the 737-800:

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Southwest_Airlines/Southwest_Airlines_Boeing_737-800_new.php

7A and 8F on the 737-700:

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Southwest_Airlines/Southwest_Airlines_Boeing_737-700_new.php

And of course likewise if you must fly the other guys, Seat Guru covers them as well except that you'll have about 10-20 different plane seating plans to navigate.

These seats are often easy to get unless someone dives in there and then realizes too late that there is no window. If so, just ask them for it in case they will move. Bring an extra drink coupon for them if they do.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.