Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

WHEELCHAIR ASSISTANCE OVERALL EXPERIENCE WITH SWA STAFF

Craftychick
Explorer A

Anyone willing to share their experiences with SWA staff assisting you with transport and staying with you until your flight?  I'm flying in 2 days and anxiety increasing due to TBI/PCS/complex PTSD.  Will be at airport by myself 4 hrs before flight.  Any advice, encouragement, other would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: WHEELCHAIR ASSISTANCE OVERALL EXPERIENCE WITH SWA STAFF

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@Craftychick, is crafty related to hobbies or slyness?  If hobbies, then my advice is to bring some craft to distract you.  I find crafts better distraction than reading, so cross-stitch works pretty well (though I have to gnaw the threads to cut). Makes me feel productive rather than just waiting.

good luck and try to remember that some other people are on flights multiple times per week.  It is just the big bus in the sky (though with better drinks and kinder crews).   It is really amazing and I am so glad that I was not a pioneer woman.  So enjoy (as much as you can). 

Craftychick
Explorer A

Yes it is actually I knit and crochet.  Will also have my ear buds in to distract.  Thinking of it as a big bus in the sky is a great.  This helps so much thank you!Knitting a dish towelKnitting a dish towel

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@Craftychick, I hope your knitting project is one loooong scarf, because it is much harder to bite through yarn than thread, and I have seen TSA confiscate cuticle scissors and even smaller folding scissors.  

I wonder if you knit something a couple of rows wide but the length of the plane’s interior?  I would say that is a tall order but it is actually a long order.

safe travels and have a fun time whenever your trip lands you!

Craftychick
Explorer A

@CareforNOLA you are a total scream!  Actually I'm knitting a second dish towel.  Heading up to visit family in this flight and bringing a stack of knitted pieces with me.  Pieces which will help keep the peace since my niece keeps um...borrowing dish cloths from my sister.  

Thanks so much!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@CareforNOLA wrote:

@Craftychick, I hope your knitting project is one loooong scarf, because it is much harder to bite through yarn than thread, and I have seen TSA confiscate cuticle scissors and even smaller folding scissors.  

I wonder if you knit something a couple of rows wide but the length of the plane’s interior?  I would say that is a tall order but it is actually a long order.

That's actual size for a Doctor Who scarf!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.