Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

WHEN WILL SW AIRLINES SMARTEN UP???? Travel funds expiring soon, no budge on policy STILL?????

callyouout
Explorer B

Being greedy during a global pandemic is not a good look, Southwest Airlines. You continue to show lack of compassion and empathy for hard earned money of your customers. What about us who have travel funds expiring soon??? You're seriously going to punish us for being responsible and helping to #flattenthecurve? Looks like you don't care about the global pandemic, and all you care about is filling your pockets.

16 REPLIES 16

Re: WHEN WILL SW AIRLINES SMARTEN UP???? Travel funds expiring soon, no budge on policy STILL?????

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

An extension may happen, stay tuned.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: WHEN WILL SW AIRLINES SMARTEN UP???? Travel funds expiring soon, no budge on policy STILL?????

S2bx04
Explorer B

Hopefully! Although, I just got off the phone with Customer Service and they haven’t heard such thing. It’s too bad they fell behind the rest of the airlines this time. Can’t say I’ll be bragging much if my travel funds expire. Especially because when I called to cancel I got wrong information! 😞

— The Window Seat 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@S2bx04 wrote:

Hopefully! Although, I just got off the phone with Customer Service and they haven’t heard such thing. It’s too bad they fell behind the rest of the airlines this time.  

How did they fall behind? Please name airlines and describe how Southwest has fallen  behind.;

jeremysmithhome
Explorer B

Delta has been extremely accommodating and flexible.  My son and I were in AZ for MLB spring training and had to adjust plans when they canceled... Rates increased significantly and SWA 800# told me to go ahead and book an earlier return and they would "do the right thing".  They didn't... I'm out $750 additional and they "really appreciate my business".  I decided to change our April Disney trip to this fall and SWA won't let me use the full credit because it expires 4 days prior to our return flight.  I've spent hours on the phone and they won't budge an inch.  Sad 😞  I've always loved SWA, but doubt I'll fly with them once I use up my miles.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

Thanks everyone here for sharing your concerns. In recognition of the current travel environment, we are extending the expiration date of some travel funds. For the latest information, click here

Nicole
Community Manager

ethorell
Explorer C

I would like to know this as well. I have current tickets booked with travel funds and vouchers that will all expire if I rebook, but can't fly due to the fact that I am an infectious disease doctor in the trenches and needed at work. It would be great if SW would extend both of these.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ethorell wrote:

I would like to know this as well. I have current tickets booked with travel funds and vouchers that will all expire if I rebook, but can't fly due to the fact that I am an infectious disease doctor in the trenches and needed at work. It would be great if SW would extend both of these.

I'm sure that all airlines thinking about what to do for the tens of thousands of passengers just like you.

Give airlines some time to figure it out. All airlines are in panic mode trying to figure how to survive.

Thanks for your service as an infectious disease doctor. Question: What do you do in triage

when a coronavirus infected person comes to you in a panic -- along with other dozens of other patients doing the exact same thing? You are probably seeing it now.

Halo3279
Explorer C

Soooo...I just had my first bad experience with Southwest. Considering the horrible state that the current pandemic is causing, I thought that Southwest would be understanding with the need for flexibility. I have 2 trips booked for April (one for high school spring break and one for college spring break) with dates April 7-11 and April 23-28. These dates will obviously need to be changed to later dates. Currently the high schooler’s last day of school is June 12 and the college student’s last day is June 17, so I would need to reschedule for July. (I also have a trip booked on Southwest from June 25-July 3, so those days won’t work, either). After calling and explaining the situation to Lauren from Southwest that I need an extension of the 60 day limit or an override of the double in price to change the flights, she informed me that although she could override the price change, she wasn’t going to do so and for me to contact customer service and they have the ability to do so, as well. I’m not sure why she wouldn’t do it for me, but I’m guessing the higher ups have instructed that the majority of people don’t want to go through the trouble of calling customer service and being on hold for long periods of time? Either way, this is super upsetting and for an airline that boast the fact that they are always trying to help accommodate it’s customers, an extra 30 days to rebook flights doesn’t seem like an unreasonable request. Thoughts?

jeremysmithhome
Explorer B

Similar situations all over this board, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.  I just exchanged emails with the USDOT and was directed here:  DOT’s Aviation Consumer Protection Division (ACPD). You may contact the DOT ACPD via telephone at 202-366-2220 or via its web site at http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfm