Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

What Southwest are y'all flying?

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I hear all this horror talk of Southwest refusing to refund money when they cancelled flights. I got notice this morning that my flight on Friday was cancelled (5 days out). I sent them a message on Twitter that per their CoC and DOT guidance, I would like a refund to my credit card. I expected a fight based on what everyone was saying. What happened?

"Hey, Bradley. We have cancelled and refunded as requested. You should be receiving an email confirming your cancellation shortly. -Brian"

So, Southwest is sticking to the contract when the passenger cancels, but they are playing by the rules when they do. Everything sounds right to me.

14 REPLIES 14

Re: What Southwest are y'all flying?

bec102896
Aviator A

Glad to hear that they were able to issue you a refund because southwest cancelled the flight. 

-Blake 

ipsedixit
Frequent Flyer C

People don't read the rules.

Then they cancel.

Then they don't get what they want because the rules don't allow for it.

Then they complain.

Rise, lather and repeat.

#HumanNature

SWDigits
Aviator A

@bwallet I believe the other reports from folks that they did not get the same response from Southwest as you.  Are you able to continue to share your experience with others in the forums so they know to try again?  I haven't been directly impacted so am unable to share my own first-hand experience.

Customer | Home airport DCA

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

swa.jpg

chgoflyer
Aviator A

There was some confusion over Southwest's policies in the preceding weeks, due to this unprecedented crisis, but it appears that as things settle everyone is back on the same page, and Southwest's legacy policies are being adhered to.

If you cancel your flight, you'll receive travel funds, but with an extended expiration date of June 30, 2021. EarlyBird Check-In fees will not be refunded, however you can reach out to Southwest for a possible goodwill accommodation.

If Southwest cancels your flight, you can receive travel funds with the extended expiration date, or a refund upon request. EarlyBird Check-In will be refunded automatically.

AnyoneButSW
Explorer B

I did not cancel my booking. SW airlines did, and yet when I asked about a refund I was told several times I'd get future credit only. I have called several times, emailed etc. Even written to NM AG as SW said "we didn't  cancel your flights, Covid 19 did"

SWDigits
Aviator A

@AnyoneButSW I would try again.  As reported by the original poster they were successful via Twitter.  Note that Twitter reportedly gets the fastest response times.  The customer relations phone number is also listed in this Knowledge Base article:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-...

And if they resist because you were already issued travel funds for the Southwest cancelled flight then I would politely explain the situation, that you were given information that does not seem correct, and firmly ask for the refund in lieu of travel funds.

After they approve the refund I would also mention how many times you've had to contact them and how much of your times it's taken.

Customer | Home airport DCA

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

@AnyoneButSW wrote:

I did not cancel my booking. SW airlines did, and yet when I asked about a refund I was told several times I'd get future credit only. I have called several times, emailed etc. Even written to NM AG as SW said "we didn't  cancel your flights, Covid 19 did"

Hi @AnyoneButSW, this is not the Customer Service for which we're known, and I am sincerely sorry if you've been jumping through hoops to get the help you need. We've been doing our best in navigating these unprecedented circumstances day by day, and while I hate to ask you to reach out again, I  encourage you to speak directly to Customer Relations, which represents the Executive Office. As a peer-to-peer forum, I'm not equipped to assist you with a refund here. While the phone lines are closed for the evening in that Department, you can reach them 24/7/365 on both Twitter and Facebook

Nicole
Community Manager

rrkman
Explorer C

Glad to see some are having luck with Southwest, I am not.  Just went through a twitter conversation about a flight THEY cancelled and my only option is future credit.  Will try calling early next week but doesn't look good.  Didn't want to bring credit card company into it but might have to.  Not sure how a company can sell you something, not give it to you, then tell you to use the money to but something else because you aren't getting a refund.