Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

What constitutes "oversize" luggage?

Lilly
Explorer C

Suitcase in question is on the left.Suitcase in question is on the left.

I just purchased a 28" hard body (plastic?) suitcase at a department store for our upcoming Southwest flight. On the label it states that it is 28". But my husband thinks it is too big and is afraid it is too big to check(at least for free) What is too big?

28 REPLIES 28

Re: What constitutes "oversize" luggage?

AshleyMainz
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @Lilly

Welcome to the Southwest Airlines Community! You are in luck because bags fly free on Southwest! Here is some information on weight and size limitations that should answer your question. 

Checked Baggage Allowance

Southwest allows two (2) checked pieces of baggage per ticketed Customer. Size and weight limitations apply:

• Each piece of baggage in excess of the free baggage allowance specified above that is not in excess of 62 inches (L+W+H) and 50 lbs. or less will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way.
  • Excess baggage which is also overweight or oversized will be charged excess baggage plus the applicable oversize or overweight charge.

Carryon Baggage Allowance

Per TSA regulations, carryon items are limited to one bag plus one small, personal item. 

• Personal items include purses, briefcases, cameras, food containers, or laptops. 
  • Southwest limits carryon bag dimensions to 10 x 16 x 24 inches. 

Happy travels!

Ashley

Ashley
Community Manager

I have another question.

Lilly
Explorer C

We are leaving on a cruise Monday. Would like to know if 12-pack cans of soda are allowed in checked luggage and if individual 12 ounce cans of soda are allowed in carry-on bags. Also, are loose cans of soda allowed in checked luggage? We are packing now and like to bring our own soda because we hate Coke products and love Pepsi products. Thanks for answering!

Re: I have another question.

AshleyMainz
Employee
Employee

Hi @Lilly

You can take that in your checked baggage, but not your carryon baggage (see TSA rules for liquids in carryon baggage). Make sure your checked baggage doesn't exceed 50 lbs or you may be subject to overweight baggage charge. 

Enjoy your trip! 

Ashley

Ashley
Community Manager

spleeft
Explorer C

So reading the regs....62" total is the max allowed for checked bags. Can you tell me on a personal basis, have you ever attempted, or heard of someone being denied that has checked a bag that was  advertised as 64.2".....(Lots of bags for sale on "E-Bags.com"  have this dimension) ??

dlee39402
Explorer C

Do the wheels count in this (62") measurement?  I read somewhere that it does not.  I wanted to make sure before I got to the airport.  

Thanks!

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @dlee39402,

Yes, the measurement, does include the wheels. Thanks for posting in the Community!

dlee39402
Explorer C

thank you

jacelewis
Explorer C

06/04/2017. I spoke with one of the telephone folks a couple of weeks ago with the same question regarding the wheels on luggage. Same issue... was buying some  new luggage and the height was list as 29". The wheels add an additional 2". The Southwest rep had to look high and low to find the answer... found it in her guide or manual... stated the dimensions DO NOT include the wheels or handles.  The new luggage is below the 62" allowance not including the wheels. Please advise. Leaving on that big bird in 10 days... not looking for any unpleasant surprises. Thanks.

bakerczirr
Explorer C

i called and was told it doesnt include the wheels but this forum does.  I think it is pretty nasty to include wheels.