Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

extening travel funds

VidhiG
Explorer C

I am having the same issue where I cancelled my ticket but i had a travel fund and instead of giving me more time to travel my expiration is April 8th and they wont wont allow me t transfer. Southwest claims flexibility, yet the corona virus will still be around early April.  Surprisingly, united airlines cancelled my ticket and issues a new voucher to extend for another year. take some notes southwest. You issued a voucher due to issues on your end and now with the virus you cant extend me and my husbands voucher. very disappointing. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: extening travel funds

dfwskier
Aviator A

At this point NO AIRLINE is extending expiration dates on their versions of travel funds.

The other airlines are waiving change or cancellation penalties, but Southwest has never charged those..

Keep watching. Things may change.

edit add: you could also contact SW Customer Relations Department via Twitter (@Southwestair), or phone at 1-855-234-4654 to discuss the matter

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If United canceled the flight then providing a voucher for you to use later makes sense, just like if Southwest canceled your flight you could receive a cash refund. Except for some international bookings on United, the only free change you'll get from them right now is if you booked the flight in March. What you stated does not not match United's policy adjustment for Coronavirus and Southwest's standard change policy is still superior. 

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

@VidhiG wrote:

I am having the same issue where I cancelled my ticket but i had a travel fund and instead of giving me more time to travel my expiration is April 8th and they wont wont allow me t transfer. Southwest claims flexibility, yet the corona virus will still be around early April.  Surprisingly, united airlines cancelled my ticket and issues a new voucher to extend for another year. take some notes southwest. You issued a voucher due to issues on your end and now with the virus you cant extend me and my husbands voucher. very disappointing. 

If your expiration date is April 8, that means you originally reserved your flight on April 8, 2019, and cancelled it sometime after that. You have had all of last year up until now to use your travel funds (an entire year). Please do not blame the virus for not being able to use your travel funds by the expiration date when you could have easily used them last summer or fall when this virus was not an issue. 

--Jessica