Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

pepper spray

pamtennyson
Explorer C

Can you carry pepper spray in checked baggage on Southwest?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Re: pepper spray

basslaw2010
Frequent Flyer B

The TSA allows for one 4 oz container of pepper spray to be checked so you should be able to check it on a Southwest flight.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

While TSA allows it, Southwest does NOT allow it in checked or carryon baggage.  

"Southwest Airlines currently prohibits self-defense sprays on any flight regardless if it is checked or carried on."

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/checked-bags-pol.html

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

basslaw2010
Frequent Flyer B

Thanks for that correction. I hate that I put out incorrect information...

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@basslaw2010 not a big deal, we're all here to learn and I know I've had a few oops moments. You did say "should" so that gets you off the hook 😛 Always great to see more people get involved in the Community.

--TheMiddleSeat

KiwisMom99
Explorer C

I travel as a healthcare professional and am often traveling by car at 3 or 4 a.m., so wanted to bring pepper-spray (Mace) and my Taser/stun gun - NEITHER are accepted by Southwest Airlines. 

Bummer. 08/11/2019

Re: pepper spray and stun gun (Taser)

KiwisMom99
Explorer C

I travel as a healthcare professional and am often traveling by car at 3 or 4 a.m., so wanted to bring pepper-spray (Mace) and my Taser/stun gun - NEITHER are accepted by Southwest Airlines. 

Bummer. 08/11/2019

Re: pepper spray and stun gun (Taser)

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@KiwisMom99 I quickly checked American, Delta, United, and Frontier and only Frontier allowed one small pepper spray container in a checked bag. Seems like Southwest's rules are pretty standard for the industry.

--TheMiddleSeat