Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

soft cooler with frozzen fish?

visco
Explorer C

I am traveling south to go fishing with my cousin. I will not be checking any baggage, on the way down. I will have a carry on with my igloo cooler folded up and inside my pack. 

The return trip, i would like to either carry on, or check my igloo soft cooler with the frozzen fish that we caught the days before.

My question is:

Can i carry on this cooler, or do i have to check it? 

Description of cooler Igloo:

Exterior Height 13-1/4 In., Exterior Length 17 In., Exterior Width 10-3/4 In., Material Nylon

5 REPLIES 5

Re: soft cooler with frozzen fish?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

I don't have the dimensions in front of me for carry-on, but that sounds about right.

Other than the size, the frozen fish is allowable, subject to some restrictions on how you intend to keep it all frozen:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/frozen-food

How far South? I'm not sure if there are any issues/restrictions if you'll be coming internationally.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

visco
Explorer C

Flying out of RDU and heading south to FLL. I plan to freeze the fish in ziplocks.

thanks for the infromation.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Sounds straightforward, review the link and make sure your ice packs or whatever you use to keep things cool will comply and you should be okay.

visco
Explorer C

I do not plan on putting any ice packs in the ice chest. the trip is only a couple of hours, so the gallon ziplock bags that have the frozzen fish in them will not defrost in that amount of time.

I will double check to make sure that ziplock bags are good as long as what is in it is frozzen.

thanks

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@visco wrote:

I do not plan on putting any ice packs in the ice chest. the trip is only a couple of hours, so the gallon ziplock bags that have the frozzen fish in them will not defrost in that amount of time.

I will double check to make sure that ziplock bags are good as long as what is in it is frozzen.

thanks

Sounds great, good luck! Hopefully you have a big catch.