Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

travel funds re corona virus

chrisglen
Explorer C

I have just cancelled our flights  ( was 14/5/20)  Booked Oct 2019   I was to think that the travel funds issued would have an expiry of June 2021  due to the current situation with the corona virus    which we will use hopefully. The funds for our tickets have given an expiry of Oct2020   which we cannot use   I have sent an email. ?  Is there any area I can contact to get this voucher date changed?   I cannot ring and stay on hold as I am located in Australia     ref file no 2314596800632   thanks

13 REPLIES 13

Re: travel funds re corona virus

bec102896
Aviator A

I believe the travel funds extension applies travel funds that are set to expire between March 1st and May 31st. Since your funds don't expire until October I don't think you are currently eligible for the extension. 

-Blake 

chrisglen
Explorer C

I have just double checked the website   what you say is correct  for "expiring"   It also says  -  Any "Newly" created travel fund due to flight cancellation between March 1 - May 31,2020 will have an expiration date of June 30, 2021  ?   

SWDigits
Aviator A

@chrisglen most of us here are customers like us.  I think these parts are applicable for you, it may take a little bit of time to see the updated expiration (see second bullet point):

-->start quote<--

• Any travel funds created because of a flight cancellation between March 1-May 31, 2020, will have an expiration date of June 30, 2021

• It will take our technology teams a few weeks to make these changes, and once you’re ready to use these funds, simply reference the PNR number on the reservation and use it as you would use “store credit” at most retail establishments.

-->end quote<--

Source: https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Blog/A-Message-from-our-SVP-and-Chief-Marketing-Officer/ba-...

Customer | Home airport DCA

chgoflyer
Aviator A

What @SWDigits said. 😉

In the past, Southwest reps often repeated that there was no way for them to change or otherwise manipulate an itinerary or travel fund's expiration date -- that the system didn't have that capability. That's why "extensions" of funds previously meant reissue as a voucher (a completely different thing).

I imagine that their tech people are now working on a way to systematically change the expiration dates of the funds of everyone affected by the situation (per the terms of their announcements, to-date). Or, they may have to possibly manually adjust each fund as appropriate. In either scenario, this will probably take some time.

Document everything for reference, but otherwise just wait it out for now. Don't call -- their phone lines are still overwhelmed, and are best left for those who need to make changes for flights scheduled in the next few days and who aren't able to do so online. I'm confident the funds expiration dates will be adjusted well before anyone needs to use them.

jksobonya
Aviator A

My pure guess is that it's some sort of temporary / manual change for the affected travel funds for now. But, maybe in light of this situation they can work on the travel fund system and provide easier options systematically for extensions in the future.

--Jessica

saltmanone
Explorer B

Does anyone know the contact number for SW group travel refunds?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@saltmanone wrote:

It should be the same number that was called when the reservation was made

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

@saltmanone wrote:

@saltmanone see the contact information listed in this post:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Travel-Policies/GLOBAL-PANDEMIC-ZERO-EMPATHY/m-p/103662/hig...

Customer | Home airport DCA

chrisglen
Explorer C

thanks everyone   I wish I would have just waited a bit longer before cancelling as it might have given me the correct expiry    as per the info I assumed it would update   I will wait a little while and send another email   regarding all of this    to change from Oct 2020 to June 2021   we are hoping  God willing to attempt to come back in May 2021  

christine