Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

1 50lb Check bag restriction

ZackEggleston
Explorer C

Hello,

A travel agency has informed us that we are limited to one checked bag of 50 lbs or less going into Cuba, rather than Southwest's 2 50lb bag limit. According to them, Southwest will allow a 2nd bag but Cuba will charge a tax/fee for the second bag at $5 a pound upon arrival. I can't find anything online anywhere about this rule, and I find it hard to believe that a rule like this would be in place and no one would be talking or warning other travelers about it. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: 1 50lb Check bag restriction

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ZackEggleston wrote:

Hello,

A travel agency has informed us that we are limited to one checked bag of 50 lbs or less going into Cuba, rather than Southwest's 2 50lb bag limit. According to them, Southwest will allow a 2nd bag but Cuba will charge a tax/fee for the second bag at $5 a pound upon arrival. I can't find anything online anywhere about this rule, and I find it hard to believe that a rule like this would be in place and no one would be talking or warning other travelers about it. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I haven't traveled to Cuba, but do remember something about this being mentioned before. The details are fuzzy whether at the time it was a Southwest restriction or Cuba - the mention is only for Havana and not the other destinations - click on the red exclamation point for Havana:

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/airport-information.html

I don't know about the tax for the second bag though, that I haven't seen mentioned before.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The details about the baggage embargo listed under Havana on the link @DancingDavidE posted say 2 bags are fine.

"Passengers traveling to Havana (HAV) will be limited to two checked bags with a maximum weight of 50 pounds and a maximum size of 62 inches (length + width + height) each"

I found no mention of a fee or tax related to a 2nd bag going to Cuba on any airline. Perhaps that is old info and the travel agent needs new information?

--TheMiddleSeat

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I'm sure the SW Twitter team could confirm this for you.  I would check with them!

-A List, Companion Pass holder