Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cuban visa included in ticket?

lgrieg
Explorer C

It seems that most travel services and other airlines are including the cost of a visa in the airline ticket being purchased. I have read that it's a requirement for the airline, but don't see anything abut this on the SW website. 

Is this also the case for Southwest? 

If not, is it required before purchasing the ticket? A recommended method to acquire one that is cost effective, i.e. not through the travel service companies who also try to sell airline tickets bundled. 

Any help would be much appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Cuban visa included in ticket?

AshleyMainz
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @lgrieg

Great question! You do not have to purchase a visa before buying your ticket, but you will need it to travel. Here is the information from Southwest.com on documentation that is required for travel to Cuba. 

A Passport - Every traveler must have a U.S. passport that’s valid at least six months after the return date.

A Visa - Every traveler is required to obtain a 2-part visa before traveling to Cuba. When returning to the United States from Cuba, you will be required to present the remaining half of your visa. There are several visa options available:

• Cuban tourist visa - We have partnered with Cuba Travel Services(CTS) to fulfill your Cuba visa needs. We recommend purchasing your visa online prior to departure to the airport. You can also call CTS at (800) 617-1902 (Monday-Friday, 8 am-8 pm EDT) for assistance or to answer any visa related questions. You will pick up your Cuba visa on your day of travel inside the Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) or Tampa (TPA) airport at a CTS counter located at checkin or at your departure gate. Customers who do not purchase their Cuba visa online with CTS prior to arriving at the airport can purchase their Cuba visa on their day of travel at CTS ticket counters located inside the Ft. Lauderdale or Tampa airport.

I hope this information helps you prepare for your trip. Happy travels!

Ashley

Ashley
Community Manager
Southwest Airlines Community

bakerwk
Explorer C

Very helpful info! If we order in advance and pickup in the FLL airport then will the shipping fee be waived? Or is it less expensive to just buy it onsite the day of the flight?

busytraveller
Explorer C

How long does it usually take to pick up the Cuban Visa from the CTS counter in Fort Lauderdale? 

We will be arriving on Southwest from another airport and have only 50 minutes to make the connection to Cuba in Fort Lauderdale.

We will purchase the visa online but I am concerned there may not be enough time to wait at the CTS counter and still make the connection.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @busytraveller,

If you've already purchased the Tourist Card from CTS, you will be able to pick these up at the CTS Counter at the departing gate for your flight to Cuba (and it is a quick process). I have not seen any reports that this has been an issue for any Customers connecting at FLL.

busytraveller
Explorer C

@LindseyD wrote:

Hi @busytraveller,

If you've already purchased the Tourist Card from CTS, you will be able to pick these up at the CTS Counter at the departing gate for your flight to Cuba (and it is a quick process). I have not seen any reports that this has been an issue for any Customers connecting at FLL.

Thank you.