Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flying to Cuba as a holiday maker from Germany

Kalle
Explorer C

Hi,

I would like to extend my Florida trip for a couple of days to see Havana.

Can I book a flight to Cuba with Southwest?

Can I order the tourist card via the internet?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Flying to Cuba as a holiday maker from Germany

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Kalle,

Great question! If you're holding a German Passport, it's important to check on the travel agreement between Germany and Cuba before booking your travel, but here's what I can share with you regarding travel to Cuba from America. 

Every traveler is required to obtain a 2-part visa before traveling to Cuba. When returning to the United States from Cuba, you will be required to present the remaining half of your visa. There are several visa options available:

• Cuban tourist visa - We have partnered with Cuba Travel Services(CTS) to fulfill your Cuba visa needs. We recommend purchasing your visa online prior to departure to the airport. You can also call CTS at (800) 617-1902 (Monday-Friday, 8 am-8 pm EDT) for assistance or to answer any visa related questions. You will pick up your Cuba visa on your day of travel inside the Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) or Tampa (TPA) airport at a CTS counter located at checkin or at your departure gate. Customers who do not purchase their Cuba visa online with CTS prior to arriving at the airport can purchase their Cuba visa on their day of travel at CTS ticket counters located inside the Ft. Lauderdale or Tampa airport.

Kalle
Explorer C

Hi Lindsay,

Thank you for the fast reply!

Travel from Germany to Cuba is not an issue at all.We need to buy the Tourist Card (travel agency 30€) and a valid passport.

The Tourist Card is looking exact like the one provided by CTS,but there is no need to choose

one of the 12 reason for traveling.

Our Government don't want to know what we are planing to do in Cuba.

For me it would be perfect to use my (german) Tourist Card,book the flight with SouthWest,

and travel from Florida...

Could this plan work? Or is the US Government checking my Tourist Card?

Thanks in advance and all the best for 2017,

Alex

LindseyD

Hi @Kalle,

Yes, you will be fine to travel using your German Tourist Card!

Soso
Explorer C

Hi Alex and Lindsey,

Could you please tell me where I can get a tourist card for Germans? I'm already in Florida? At Lindsey's link I always be asked for the reason of my journey, and tourism isn't choosable.

Thank you so much

LindseyD

Hi @Soso,

You should check with your government to see what the travel agreement is between Germany and Cuba. We provide the travel, but the rules on where you can travel and why will vary depending on your country of origin! 

Soso
Explorer C

Thanks so much for the good news.

Do the US government wouldn't prohibit that I leave the states in direction to Cuba?

At your link to get a visa, I'll be asked for the reason of my journey. But none of these 12 options apply in my case.

Could you please give me an advice?

Thank you so much for your help!

Soso
Explorer C

I have quite a similar question.

I'm a German traveller as well and like to go from florida to Cuba one way. I did not buy a ticket to leave Cuba's yet. Is that possible to fly one way?

Is it still available to buy my tourist card last minute when I arrive at the airport?

How much dies it cost?

Thanks do much for your help!