Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

People to People vs. Support of Cuban People - tourist cards

ltushla
Explorer C

My friend and I purchased tickets to Cuba for a February trip before the policy change.  

I have been reading about the tourist card options.  I'm looking for some examples about what qualifies as Support of the Cuban People.  I've seen examples of People to People.  

I know that the timeline is not in place yet. 

Thank you for your thoughts and experiences.

Lara

1 REPLY 1

Re: People to People vs. Support of Cuban People - tourist cards

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

From a document that's linked on a Southwest.com page about traveling to Cuba. Hope it helps you. 

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cuba_faqs_new.pdf

What constitutes “support for the Cuban people” for generally authorized travel and other
transactions?
OFAC has issued a general license that incorporates prior specific licensing policy and
authorizes, subject to conditions, travel-related transactions and other transactions that are
intended to provide support for the Cuban people, which include activities of recognized human
rights organizations; independent organizations designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transition
to democracy; and individuals and non-governmental organizations that promote independent
activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba. The traveler’s schedule of activities must
not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule in Cuba.
For a complete description of what this general license authorizes and the restrictions that apply,
see 31 CFR § 515.574.